Korg Arp 2600M

so I just got my first paycheck after a minor raise so I’ve got the cash for a 2600m. That doesn’t mean I’m not struggling to keep food on the table. I see it’s on sale a few places, oh so slightly. I’m kinda waiting for the price to dip below £1000, with growing frustration… Can anyone recommend a fallacy of logic that could justify the purchase now?

Is just me, or the korg has a flavour the behringer didn’t get on this instrument?

It sounds brilliant. I’ve got both the Korg FS and the M and the M is just as good (if not better bc of the convenient size :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I have not really listened much to the Barp2600 but I did notice that the square wave sounded different, the Barp was more thin/reedy sounding, the Korg sounds more full like the Arp square. It could be that the PW on the Barp was not calibrated. Also the triangle sounds smoother on the Korg, on the Barp it sounds more harmonic, again could be down to calibration.
Finally the PWM sounds different, Korg seems to have a broader tone.

I did not notice much difference in sawtooth, and I never listened to the filter on the Barp or the envelope/vca/noise.

It would be interesting to hear a comparison though.

I habe no experience with the Korg, but to me the B2600 sounds absolutely incredible. Much more impressive than I expected. I was going to sell the one I got in a trade but I can’t bring myself to get rid of it.

If the Korg sounds better… holy shit I’d better not look at any videos :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

They sound a bit different. I see them as two different versions of the 2600. I’ve got the BARP and it sounds amazing and the Korg 2600M sounds amazing and closer to an original in every YouTube video I have listened to. I will buy the Korg version as well, but for now the BARP is plenty enough.

2 Likes

Great knowledge all around.

It has 2 keyboard CV in, as well as CV in for each VCO, and a gate in.

1 Like

Dieter says delete.

Hi owners ,
Can you please tell me , what is the size of this sinth? I mean actual sliders and things, is it comperable with eurorack systems? Or is there little more space?

Way more space than a typical euro system, faders are about 4cm travel.

2 Likes

Thanks!

This is an absolutely awesome sounding machine

3 Likes

Don’t know whether or not it’s a super deal, but at least Thomann says that it’s a Deal of the week. Maybe that’s interesting to some. Would it be worth pulling the trigger if you already have a grey meanie? (Replacing the B-one)

4 Likes

It’s hard to imagine that the non-monetary pros/cons can remotely account for the actual street price differences - so in terms of the UK comparison, you can currently get circa 3.3 Blue Marvins per one of those from Thomann. That imho means you really ought to be convincingly sold on the advantages that the Korg may offer you after considering that the Marvin/Meanie have their own advantages. The Korg looks great, and it is already ‘mounted’ (and has utility speakers) and it possibly has a nicer spring tank … i don’t know its noise profile, but i’m not too sure the BM noise is particularly pleasing on my ear, but otherwise and overall the Marvin is a marvel … sounds amazing and the variable envelopes are so useful, as is the extra oscillator flexibility and other additions. I doubt there is a good cost justification for choosing the Korg beyond just digging its overall vibe or exclusive features or not really aligning with Behringer. If you think the asking price (less what you get for your GM) is worth it then do it … how you feel about something can be as important as anything else. It’s definitely got a great vibe about it, at a price though.

3 Likes

Thanks for your feedback. That would have been my first gut feeling, too. I like Korg’s design better, but that much better? hmmm

It’s about 200€ cheaper at the moment than most other retailers in France, for instance:

https://fr.audiofanzine.com/synthe-analogique/korg/arp-2600-m/prix/

Ordered a Korg ARP 2600 M today. Not the best deal on the market right now, but the minor permanent price drop helped (about 11%).

The MS-20 FS and ARP Odyssey Module Rev 1 reissues by Korg are solid and I enjoy them a lot. The ARP 2600 M should be a fun addition to the collection.

4 Likes

The Korg ARP 2600 arrived yesterday, and I am thoroughly enjoying it. My Korg ARP Odyssey was retrieved and setup to perform some basic comparisons later this week.

16 Likes

I’m really intrigued by this, but the learning curve seems too steep for me.