Korg budget rhythm station

For any other folks who are feeling like picking up new Elektron boxes is even less likely now, with the recent price increases, just thought I’d share this minor revelation (which many of you are no doubt already aware of):

• The Korg SQ-64 is still available for the kind-of-crazy price of $130 (new) on Reverb. It’s get a 16-part monophonic drum sequencer.
  • The Volca Sample 2 is currently $110 everywhere. It’s got 10 voices.
  • The Volca Drum is normally $150, but available today (last day, apparently) at Sweetwater for $130. It’s got 6 voices.

$370 for all three. There’s no real comparison to the Digi boxes in terms of capability, but nonetheless, I’m extremely excited to get these in my hands and start playing with them. I’m expecting it to scratch an itch that I won’t be able to afford to scratch with the fancier Elektron gear anytime soon. Looking forward to driving some synths with the melodic parts, too.

3 Likes

The SQ-64 is pretty crappy as a sequencer, unfortunately. At $130, it’s still a good value as a USB/MIDI -> CV/Gate converter, which is how I use it with the Lyra-8.

Still, if you are on a tight budget, the SQ-64’s bugs and limitations are probably not a deal killer. But it isn’t smooth sailing either.

2 Likes

My impression is that most of the more troublesome bugs were squashed in the last firmware update. Has that not been your experience?

You’ll need a mixer to hear the devices , a device to get samples into the volca sample 2 , probably want some better fx If the mixer doesn’t have any ,

I’m sure you’ll have fun with the setup but there are other options too , many of which I’m sure are detailed on other threads / forums / YouTube channels.

Everything gets cheaper buying 2nd hand too. I’m sure you’ll find many devices where the adverts mention ‘ only used for an hour or two’

I’ve got plenty of gear, including a mixer and send FX. The SQ-64 has some similarities to the Elektron sequencer (many differences too, of course) that I’m looking forward to playing with, and many people on this forum have compared the Volca Drum favorably to some Elektron synthesis machines.

It’s £255 from where I’m standing

I don’t have the latest firmware yet, but that seems to squash some bugs but some of the sequencer oddness remains.

The Electribe 2 seems like a good all-in-one budget box, particularly used. Zoom MS-70CDR is a nice multi-FX unit to combine with the Volcas, and there are plenty of cheap passive TRS mixers out there to complete the budget setup.

I love the idea of putting budget rigs together. It is nice to be able to afford premium gear, but absolutely not necessary for creative music making.

FYI - you linked the Volca Beats above, the Volca Drum is available at Sweetwater here.

Sorry, probably should have been more clear that these were US prices.

1 Like

Good catch, fixed!

1 Like

The other thing I would recommend for people on a tight budget is (1) patience and (2) Craigslist and similar local classifieds. Pickings are on the slim side here in Chicago, but I scored a ton of deals in Seattle.

1 Like

NP. I thought you were posting to a specific listing but that page seems to be a general, all the SQ64s that are available page. We didn’t get the amazing deals on the Opsix in the UK either, :sob: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Yeah, I just picked up an M:C on Reverb for $265 shipped, which (along with my M:S) is as close to a genuine Elektron sequencer as I’m going to get for a while. All in all, pretty amazing time to be buying hardware on a budget. The flagship stuff is shiny and amazing, but I’m more than pleased with the stuff that I can afford.

1 Like

I am sure you will have fun jamming on those. Korg makes some good gear.

For that budget, I would go with the Model:Samples. Even though I’ve got a Digitakt and other Elektron gear, it is still one of my favorite pieces.

1 Like

Yeah, I have an M:S and love it. It’s part of a more live-focused rig. I’m going to use the Korg stuff (along with some sequencer-less synths) for a more compositionally-focused rig.

1 Like

That’s is how I’ve used Volca’s in the past as well. Not enough patterns to play live, but fun for jamming on, and recording those jams. I think that is why I just don’t use them more. They just fill up so quickly.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve been interested in a few of them for ages, but the ergonomics always turned me off. When I saw the SQ-64 prices, I kind of idly googled the Sample and Drum, and was surprised to see how cheap they were both going for. So, a bit of an impulse buy all around, but I don’t think that I’ll regret it.

2 Likes

I don’t think you will either. They are fun pieces. Great value for the price.

1 Like

Get a Novation Circuit Rhythm, unbeatable value.

2 Likes

I’ve got a Circuit Tracks, and one eye on the Rhythm at all times. The Circuit workflow is pretty ingenious.

2 Likes