Korg Discontinuing and Selling Off Synths ( OPSIX, etc )

Warehouse space is fungible. While more expensive it is still available. I used more expensive warehouse prices and transportation in my calculations. Besides you’re saying these two products were less profitable, rather than money losers – so you make adjustments rather than dumping, at a price presumably at or near a loss.

Like i said the warehouse space theory isn’t fitting as a good economic justification for me.

1 Like

Interesting data point. I assume the quoted containers are TEUs.

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up @Jukka ! I swore i wasn’t going buy any more gear, but this deal on this fun sequencer was too good to pass up.

Kraft Music is selling them with patch cables and power supply for the same price, to anyone else interested

I reckon the drum sequencer on this thing will be quite useful for running my Rene as varied clock sources. Neat

4 Likes

I haven’t read much online about it because I’m not personally interested, but everybody I’ve talked to in person seems to agree that the difference between on/off brightness on the sq-64 is a real problem. Even in the somewhat dim room of detroit modular it was difficult to tell the difference. As soon as I saw that, I predicted there would be a huge discount on the sq-64s coming up. The popularity of the sq may have nothing to do with the discount though, idk.

(not trying to start an argument about how good the sq is, just providing my brief observation)

Was that with a 2A power supply, or 500mA?

It seems silly to require 2A, but I can tolerate some silliness in the studio.

Predictions from dimly lit places are welcome here.

What’s next ? What will be cleared only in the USA by Korg next ?
This is not about speculation — but if you know, speak up !

Heh, my point being that I imagine it’d be useless in sunlight, and fine in complete darkness. Dim rooms are perfect for the elektron leds.

I watched a couple yt reviews and noticed the same issue, surprised more people don’t comment on this. I think Korg should just have the same step insertion method as elektron, where if nothing is recorded on a step it is not lit at all, and only becomes lit once you enter the note.

It’s bad on both, IMHO. My only real complaint about the SQ-64.

Though I doubt it’s the reason for the sell off. That’s eminently fixable in firmware (even if there’s no way to tweak the brightness contrast greater, the pads are capable of displaying white. Just make red = off and white = on. Or have off = off. Or…) However rough the patch, it’d have to be more economical than a mass write-off, wouldn’t it?

2 Likes

I jumped on the price Monday (same as Opsix) and mine arrived yesterday.

The lighting is interesting. I also agree that they should have nothing lit until a step is entered…

With that said, I noticed this today… It’s less of an issue if you’re viewing the SQ64 at an angle, vs straight down.

Yesterday, I was wondering whey they left just a tiny slit for light feedback, but in practice, so long as you’re not directly above it, it actually works alright.

That saves me from any interest in getting a stand to tilt the SQ64 (making for a top-down view while seated).

4 Likes

I recently boxed up a large portion of my gear in an attempt to focus on a couple key tools, but :crossed_fingers: for a Modwave blowout.

5 Likes

Especially considering they used to do it that way on the electribes.

1 Like

I feel like the sq-64 was abandoned before it was even released.

I was interested in it before it came out but even the beta testers were telling me to stay away and that there were too many issues that were not being fixed.

1 Like

[Mods, please feel free to delete this post if you rearrange the threads]

I’m looking forward to picking up an MS20 FS for $600. :smile:

6 Likes

Not a selloff, at least not yet, but i notice the Korg Monologue new is on a pretty deep discount at a variety of US retailers for $300. I believe the price was $430 before. What i saw said this sale goes through first of next year. So they’re drawing down stock. No idea if this one might be next ??? The markdown currently is good if you already wanted a Monologue.

It’s not being sold at the Korg Reverb Warehouse at this time.

2 Likes

Cool, I think that was the price at launch.

2 Likes

Just sharing a postscript on my OpSix experience… after sending it back to Sweetwater for a repair or replacement, my rep said they were working on getting me a new one from Korg UK. Thus began a few weeks of back and forth (at this point I wasn’t holding my breath at all for anything) until they sent it to their repair shop to replace the screen. Again, would not have been surprised at all to receive a “sorry, here’s your full refund” email during those two months.

Lo and behold, I received a shipping email this past Tuesday, the unit arrived yesterday with a new screen, and the OpSix honeymoon has officially commenced! (Bonus high-five to Sweetwater for updating to v2.0 as well while it was in their hands.)

17 Likes

The SQ-64 has been sold-out and has been dropped from their listing at Sweetwater. I notice the sale continues at other US retailers, like Guitar Center, and other places around the world i believe. Strikes me as odd to just release a nice upgrade like Version 2.0 and drop the product. Not sure what to think.

1 Like

Whelp, now the SQ64 is $129.99.

4 Likes

Price matching the sq-1!

4 Likes