Korg Discontinuing and Selling Off Synths ( OPSIX, etc )

For real!

2 Likes

I mean, have you ever thought to yourself, “Hey self, I would like 64 SQ-1’s?” Well now, you can get one SQ-64, and you are saving money for your future.

Dang! I should have held out.

…dang…

1 Like

Or, you could have two for less than the price of one!

I think that might be economics.

1 Like

This is from B&H :

It’s also been dropped from the Sweetwater catalog as well.

This isn’t absolutely conclusive that the Modwave is following the OPSIX, but it’s looking that way. There are signs that the Wavestate may be similar.

ADDED : This is not correct, the Modwave HW is not discontinue, see this post down thread.

1 Like

Interesting. Have they ever posted sales numbers for these? I’ve always had the impression from forums that the modwave wasn’t terribly popular - it rarely shows up in setup pics or discussions.

1 Like

Dang. No massive discount sell off before doing this?

Korg is being silly.

Granted, I really don’t need another synth, but at 300 for this one, I probably would have bought it.

Why Korg why?

Because they took pity on me, that I would have none of it in Europe.

3 Likes

I’m in the states, but i looked at Andertons, Bax, and Thomann. They all have the Modwave on a pretty good discount / sale.

Results there for the Wavestate is inconclusive, but it’s not listed in the Thomann online catalog.

1 Like

Hopefully Korg is just reengineering this series to work with a more readily available ARM-core SoC and they will come back as Mk2s with more poly or even multitimbrality in a few years.

I’m a bit sad that I’ll probably miss adding the Modwave to my collection, but I still haven’t put the OPSIX and Wavestate to as much use as they deserve.

5 Likes

… or putting all three together in one box — multitimbral — and go after the Quantum / Iridium !

5 Likes

The Modwave was the beast of this series, glad I got one after returning my Wavestate, I missed the OpSix on discount, but have a much more powerful FS1R already to cover those tones. Sad to see Modwave ride into the sunset, hopefully we’ll see a it return in a new iteration

I really hope not - at least not at the exclusion of the dedicated devices. Respectfully to FS1r enthusiasts, the OPSIX’s front panel make it vastly more usable than any of the rack DXes, making it practically more powerful even if it has fewer oscillators than the FS1r. Korg could probably squish a Wavestate and Modwave plugin into the Nautilus, but that wouldn’t be much different than running the VSTs with a top-shelf controller keyboard.

3 Likes

Plenty of Modwave units available through reverb.com.

Yes, and many are on sale too.

Sweetwater shows the MS-20 full-size as discontinued too. I went into guitar center yesterday and they had them on clearance for $999, but that also means no returns.

1 Like

Yeah, the FS1R is 8 operator and the Opsix is only 6, but Opsix has all these other tricks up its sleeve, like wave folding, filter FM, that effect mode, the modulation matrix, etc. On the other hand FS1R has that formant shaping stuff that the Opsix does not.

I think the FS1R and Opsix are pretty much equally powerful. I would much rather program the Opsix any day though! :laughing:

2 Likes

It doesn’t really, though. The formant stuff is largely useless without software that Yamaha never released. And you can’t really program the thing from the front panel at all, so you are much better off just using a VST.

It’s pretty, and a nice collector’s item though.

If you want weird robot vocals, the Monomachine’s VO synth is much better. If you want more conventional vocals, the CT-S1000V is much cheaper than either MnM or FS1r and is still in production. If you just want some funky formant sounds, any synth with two or more parallel bandpass filters will do the job.

(I’m a bit grumpy because I paid $800 for mine, which was a steal at the time, but was so disappointed that I ended up giving it to a friend for free. Felt bad charging for it)

Edit: MODX has 8 ops and a MODX-6+ sells new for less than what Reverb sellers are asking for a FS1r.

4 Likes

Also, note that you can get what are described as an exact software simulation of the Modwave for $200. From time to time Korg puts their softsynths on half-price sale, too.

2 Likes

I didn’t know the formant shaping was useless! I’ve only briefly spent time with the FS1R. And honestly there’s not all that much more one can do with 8 operators that can’t be done with 6. I personally can’t think of any patches on the Opsix where I found myself wishing I had more operators.

The Opsix has the absolute best interface I’ve ever seen in an FM synthesizer. So yeah, maybe that makes it more powerful in practical terms

4 Likes