Korg Nu:Tekt DIY Synth kit

Thanks. Good to know. I thought the Input was passing through the whole chain. Doesn’t matter. I’m gonna output the M:C into my Akai MFC-42 Filter and then output it into the NTS-1.

Can you sync the delay with the MIDI IN?

Oh nice, the NTS-1 does have real stereo processing so if you use the stereo filter section of the Akai the stereo signal from the MC will be preserved. That’s going to be an awesome combo!

I don’t know if it syncs with MIDI, I have been using it with MIDI from the Monologue and I think I checked the delay sync the night I first got it, but I don’t remember. I’ll try again and let you know. You’ll definitely want to use the synth section of the NTS-1 sequenced by a track from the MC, it is really awesome when I’ve used it with the Monologue. It responds to CC changes sent by the Monologue so you can treat it just like a third oscillator, but then you can control it from the NTS itself too so you can change the patch independent of the controlling synth and get a wildly different timbre going on the NTS.

1 Like

Is there a good soul that tried to use it as an external fx pedal with octatrack with cue outs? Is the processing true stereo on inputs?

Yes, real stereo all the way through.

2 Likes

thank you for the reply hawk, may I ask how you found the sound quality with those mini-TRS stereo? All good? Noise?

Sounds great to me over headphones, very nice! Any noise I noticed was coming from nanoloop mono, didn’t hear any when running Monologue through it.

2 Likes

really the only thing I have tried mine for was as a master FX still and a touch of random noodling… but yeah its volume output was just too low even after being boosted buy my dude mixer I was finding it tricky to not overload it with signal and have stuff start to clip internally or not be heard at all. It worked ok at best, Should be interesting as an alternate voice for one of the tracks from a model line elektron, especially given you can just skip the midi adapter to connect them up. I didn’t think I would be as bothered by the lack of presets or memory state as I am but it puts it in a weird place for me… I feel like my most likely use for it is just as some simple fx inline that I don’t tweak too much. Haven’t decided to part with it yet, it is nice to just have something little to drop some good FX on nanoloop with. My live show is over now and I have a model cycles coming tomorrow so I should have some good experimenting time coming up!

So I did some tests with the M:C into the NTS-1. For me, the NTS-1 is more suited for a synth than a 6-part groovebox. I must say though that Ensemble in the mod FX gives a nice boost to the M:C mostly when Speed and Depth are at 0. I will probably use it with either the Minilogue or the Sirin. I really want to exploit the mod FX with the Delays and the big Reverbs.

Oh nice, did you try using it sequenced by a melodic track on the M:C or how were you using it? This is a golden age of small awesome synths and FX. Yea the Ensemble sounds good for sure. I added a whole bunch of user stuff and have had so much fun trying them.

Reading over this thread again… so if you create a cool patch and power it down, when you turn it back on it doesn’t default to what you last had on it? That’s a bummer.

Yea but it’s kind of not a big deal at all in actual use, it’s fun to dial in a sound and tweak it and it’s only a monosynth with limited parameters so it only takes a moment. Since I’ve been using it layered with the Monologue I just tweak the sound over and over to fit with what the Monologue is doing, so patches would be fairly useless in my scenario. That’s my experience though.

I would use just the fx engine… so it’s easy to get back a favorite tweaked patch with chorus/delay/reverb?
Really the main thing I want it for is the Submarine algo. Everything else is just gravy.

1 Like

Yeah really super easy. You can add your own FX in though so you should try adding a bunch of stuff that people have made, and try using the oscillator section layered up with whichever synth, it can sound really good! Or at the very least with whatever else you’re going to use it with, send it a clock signal and have fun latching an arp and tweaking the synth. I also bought it thinking I would just use it for the effects…

2 Likes

Juno have just got some in stock£99 with free shipping , they’re also available on Amazon.co.uk (shipped from Spain ).

Mine should arrive Wednesday .

2 Likes

Mine arrived today
Very easy to make
Nice reverb.

Thirty minute video made out in mountains, near a water fall in Australia with just two Nu-Tekts !

10 Likes

I was using mine last night into my interface and I kept getting weird artifacts/clicking/popping sounds almost like digital clipping or something, even when nothing was being run into the audio in. Didn’t appear on headphones. Wonder what’s going on? I’ll try tonight with a battery pack, I was powering it from a usb plug connected to mains, tried a few different plugs with the same results.

Hav u updated firmware ?
Try korg site , there was an update last week

Yeah I’m on the latest FW. I think it might be something with the power over USB, once I try a battery pack that should narrow it down.

Only appears going into my interface, strange.