Korg Prologue 8/16 Voice Analog Poly Synth

Yes Korg calls it they „flag-ship“. A Modul/Desktop model would be awesome, but as William Wild already stated, they don’t do Desktop models very often. (The Odyssey is kind of an exception.)

Any detail? My local retail store had it on preorder, so I thought I’d just go ahead and dive straight in. 12 month installment lyfe ovbs. The CZ-like sounds on this, coupled with vco voices on top, were too much for me to bear (have regretted selling my CZ-5000 for some time now). It sounds to me like something out of a ryuichi sakamoto/tomita context, mellow, refined and very ”japanese”, if that makes sens

1 Like

I was hoping Korg would come out with a analogue Electribe EMX 3… How cool would it have been if the same synth engine of the Prologue was in a kick ass groovebox that had their tube tech in it… With a complete sequencer, song mode and all… One can only dream😍

1 Like

I acknowledge it’s tempting, but I would really take some time before ordering. At least until NAMM has ended and we know more about the prologue. I imagine that a installment with 12 rates, costs a lot interest rate. I usually avoid installmnents, but of course you can do what’re you want :slight_smile:
Which model do you want?

Yeah, I totally recommend testing a unit firsthand before considering a purchase for anyone. But me, I’m just impulsive like that. Besides, I have already decided to sell off 2-3 synths, one MPC and a mixer to recoup some of the cash. The Prologue will replace those 2-3 synths easily.

If NAMM ”slaps me in the face”, I reckoned I can just cancel the preorder, as these will not be shipping until February AFAIK

1 Like

They are both too expensive imo
These will come down in price, and will be had really cheap second hand I think

1 Like

Wouldn’t touch a deepmind with a 12 foot pole because it’s a Behringer, but would buy the DSI Rev2 over the Prologue any day, not because of the sound engine which is boring old analog, but because of the incredible onboard modulation matrix.
A synth is only as good as its modulation, and modulation on the Prologue isn’t good

2 Likes

You can pickup a DSI Poly Evolver Keyboard for USD$1500 used on Ebay no problem
http://www.vintagesynth.com/dsi/pek.php
Its arguably better than anything else Dave Smith has ever made including the Prophets
To built it today in that size $4999 i reckon
Now that is flagship instrument (Was $2999 when they released the model in 2005)
I would much rather have the PEK then the Prologue

Yeah how Korg can can call this a flagship I don’t know
More like flagrubberducky

Yeah, I don’t know why anyone has decided Behringer is fine after all these years of creating junk product after junk product. The Deepmind sounds OK and is cheap, so what? There’s literally 50 synths that sound better than it, so the ‘analog’-ness of it does it no favors for it, to me.

Oh man just watched this, and I’m sorry but this synth is an absolute joke.
Modulation is even less than what I thought.
One lfo with only 3 waveforms, routable to only 3 destinations.
I mean WTF? Absolutely ridiculous.
The digital oscillator, apart from a few user waves, gives us nothing new over their previous VA’s
At the price they are asking, I honestly think they will struggle to sell any of these at all.
You would be crazy to buy this over anything else in this price bracket
I predict these will be had second hand shortly at half the asking price.
I would choose my Korg Z1 I had in the 90’s over this for sure. Check the specs and sound and I think you’ll agree. Epic fail I’m afraid

you can’t be serious. They will sell tons of those. It’s korg…
Enough people don’t care about the number of lfo’s

So when are you buying one :joy:

1 Like

It’ll be interesting to see what else comes in this space. There’s definitely a trend of revival in polys these days, which can only be good.

I still think Moog is releasing one in Feb. At a much higher price point than the Korg thats for sure…

I too really don’t like Beringer for the same reasons… i have to say their model D clone sounds really good though.

Wouldn’t call the Proloque a joke, but yes, you are right, the DSI Rev2 has much more modulation options. This is, why I still keep my Prophet 8.

IMO not everybody is an experienced or avid soud designer. The Proloque seems to generate many useful classic pad sounds or tones. Could it be that this is exactly, what the average keyboarder is looking for?

Let’s not forget, such a treasured synth like the Jupiter 8 had also one LFO and two envelopes only :wink:

Like I said earlier, IMO a synth is only as good as its modulation.
Basically I want options to be able to fuck up the sound as much as possible :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Get the Quantum, which seems to be exactly what you want, many LFOs, envelopes, a large modulation matrix … and those interesting new granular and resonator sound engines :wink:

No FM apparently :thinking:
Lost interest when I read that a while back

Ever checked out the PreenFM 2?

6 operators, each with a ADSR having a value AND a time parameter, which is great to generate interesting modulations. Not mutlistage, but a little like it. It’s complex enough to have even small amounts of change generate very different tones.

BTW … sometimes it might be better to have an optimized synth for each synth-concept rather a huge monster having it all pressed together in one instrument. I had the Quantum last year top of my shopping list, but Waldorf did not deliver in autumn and not in December, so I consider to get something like the GR-1 for granular synthesis rather the Quantum itself.