Korg SQ-64 Poly Sequencer

big one is all the voltage control: “3 Melody tracks each with MODULATION, PITCH and GATE outputs and a DRUM track with 8 individual trigger outputs for controlling analog synths, Eurorack, and drum machines.” that’s 17(!) CV/gate/trigger outputs.

also the Korg sequencers are more about being “played” in realtime, whereas Elektron boxes are more about being programmed.

2 Likes

Yeah, Korg sequencers are so fun and jammable. They may not be the most in depth, but man, that Monologue sequencer is magic to me, and even the SQ-1 was extremely fun. I would love to give this one a spin.

4 Likes

It would be great if it output more MIDI messages other than Note ON/OFF

Hope Elektron implements this in future updates

1 Like

I’ve got a Squid and I really like it… thing is, there is a fair amount of overlap between the Squid and this SQ-64 but still enough difference to have me mulling over this too! No doubt, once the demo videos drop there will be one or two tricks in there that’ll have me convinved I need both…

Is there any Plocking on the squid? That could tip the scales for me.

Yes you can plock midi cc and interpolate it between values…
it’s a cool sequencer just it has no song mode and don’t expect updates

2 Likes

wow. finally a saw pic of the back. soooo many jacks…

8 Likes

Obviously, @DanJamesAUS answered the question more succinctly than I could manage but I think a really valid point about song mode is raised. I think of the Squid more as a performance sequencer in much the way that I think the Roland TR8s is a performance drum machine. My approach to using it is in creating a number of patterns and then jamming with the various sequencer directions/speed, triggering chords and then recording the audio from the synths as multi-tracks to cut up and process within the DAW. Equally you could do the same with recording the midi output of the sequencer into your DAW for more processing and such like.

1 Like

This is pretty much my process as well. I usually record midi information into my MPC or Elektron Digitone depending on what processing I want to do with the midi information.

1 Like

Had so much fun with the squid today, it’s a lot of fun to use and coming up with patterns…
like mentioned you can record the midi or use the app and drag the patterns into your daw…
I’m also interested in how this korg sequencer works, and how it compares

2 Likes
11 Likes

I cannot believe how much effort Korg invested to make it that complicated and give it such a bad UI.
I think Loopop is very good it showing how streamlined a device can be used, even if it is complex, but the SQ-64 looks like it is 20 years old, Korg was the first who try to do something new and went the wrong path.
I don’t have to look at missing features and opportunities to see, that this device is not for me :frowning: I really hoped that it is a cool sequencer, but I need such a performance sequencer to be immidiate and quick to use. Because this is, with only 4 tracks, not a production device like the squid, circlon etc.

3 Likes

I liked how it recorded the individual note offsets on that chord within a step, but anyone been able to figure out if it will record long, overlapping notes okay? (the famous Octatrack shortcoming)

Something like : hold down a note, add a second, release the second, release the first. All over maybe 8 steps… (the kind of thing that piano roll and event list sequencers have no trouble with)

Viewed the video a second time. Read some stuff…
Its 2020, we have super cheap and super impressive Chips out there with processing-powers above cheaper mobile phones, with tons of memory and stuff… Why would anyone release a “polyphonic sequencer” that, yes, can play separate note-values but shares length, velocity etc. Or even worse. Why build it, that it can handle it differently (when recording) but does not provide an interface for it.
Why strip down to 3+1 tracks? Why stop running song while loading next one? Why add a micro usb instead usb c port? why a limited amount of projects when you have a display and could easily add a SD Card slot? Why limit tracks to 64 steps?
I really really don’t get, why companies and developers stick to this old and restricted design. Sure, people made great music with 8 steps. But they did so, because more was not possible.
Noone is forced to use unlimited steps, but being able to work with progressions longer than 4 bars, without having to loose resolution or storagespace… I just don’t get it…

11 Likes

I suspect a great deal of that has to do (as Loopop hints at more than once) a bit of corporate think on Korg’s part: If it worked for Arturia, it will work for us as well. There is very little risk in this endeavor.

And of course, Arturia, in their own efforts, probably looked to what had worked in the past as well.

Innovation rarely comes from the top. This is part of the same product release cycle that saw Korg go for some other low-risk offerings: a stripped-down Kronos, an FM synth (which offers some new approaches certainly, but also comes after years of revived interest in FM; they’re following the lead here), and the not-yet-announced-but-also-announced Arp 2600 Mini.

I’ll be interested to see what comes out of Korg Germany (where it sounds like Tats has been given some freedom to pursue innovation).

2 Likes

this is mainly targeted as a sequencer for modular guys, and to be fair for the price there is not many alternatives. I’m on a budget and this whole year i was researching sequencers, anything that can do at least 2 quantized voices + some percussion, with no need of midi to cv conversion, longer than 16 step sequences, some sort of pattern chaining, saving and recalling, small (keystep pro is too big for me) and cheap. Not a lot of options to be fair, the second option for me is a Hermod, but with shipping and customs it would end up being around 450eur. I’m still waiting on Erica synths Black Sequencer price, but i imagine it will be more than 500eur. There are plenty of options when you have >500-1000 to spend, but at 200-400max there is really not that many options. And for me SQ-64 so far is the winner. Will wait for NAMM2021, and will probably get the SQ-64.

2 Likes

They don’t… there are plenty of alternatives. Get a Cirklon or a Pyramid :wink:

This one is a midi/modular sequencer on a budget. And given the limited cost, it does pretty well.

3 Likes

Thanks, I know those :slight_smile: there are a few more out there also. Does not change what I said at all. Price is a very weak argument here, in my opinion. Making the device 128 steps instead of 64 steps (for example) is not that big of a deal. This is nothing based on price or development resources. This is a decision someone made… and only one of many points I mentioned :slight_smile:

So, no, from the UX design and the features, I don’t see that is does anything great other than having a few CC outs, that I don’t care about at all. And as it has 2 midi outs, it does not seem to be a modular only device.

Oh. And yes, I have a spot on that famous waiting list for the cirklon.

I could agree there… but then why 128 steps ? Why not 256 ? Or 1024 ? Or no limit at all ? At one point this becomes a matter of UI, eventually needing more hardware for good usability (page buttons, leds, jog wheel, whatever is needed to keep the device away from sub-menus nightmare).

And these many points add up to the cost… no matter how you choose to ignore it, this is all about development resources, design and the hardware costs of implementations.

I’m sure this sequencer will please many people just because we don’t have the same needs. I certainly don’t need 128 steps… sometimes 8 is enough ! And I’m glad I don’t have to pay the cost of a more feature-full device.

Even a Digitakt is a very capable midi sequencer…

2 Likes

I think it is totally okay to disagree and I am sure some people might like it.
I see the deluge that is able to handle unlimited steps with a ton less buttons, no real display etc. So yes, you exactly got my point… why limit it to something that random? :slight_smile:

In my opinion building something that others already did is totally wasted resources. Sure it is a question of resources but honestly? Give a good developer with an idea a year and you can have way more than that!

1 Like