Korg SQ-64 Poly Sequencer

IDK man. I’ve kinda mastered the Elektron sequencer and have yet to use anything that compares to it. As and owner and very satisfied user of multiple Elektron boxes I have no need or desire for another sequencer. Looks cool tho.

1 Like

I’m in camp Deluge. I know, hardly relevant and such, different price range, and so on.

But I’m still in that camp :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Sorry dude, but I can’t resist

2 Likes

Because price… that’s my point. Why Elektron makes 300€ devices now with limited functionality ? Because low prices induce high volumes. And yet many people get joy with these.

Competition ? Driving prices down ? I’m so glad I can now buy synthesizers for a fraction of the price I paid 30 years ago, even though they bring nothing new.

2 Likes

Pdf manual is here.

1 Like

I get you point, but that does not make me understand it :slight_smile: and believe me or not, I know development costs and development times very very well and while I am not an embedded developer in my job, I spend some time in my free time with it and with sequencer development and as I see what I can achieve in an amount of time, I am sure that some who knows what he/she is doing will get a lot more done!

1 Like

Ahah… yes, we’re all developers here :smiley:. I am too. And I constantly underestimate the cost of implementing functionality I first see as “basic”. After all the Cirklon is more than 10 years old and is still under development.

The fact that I don’t get it, probably makes the joke even more on me :slight_smile:

Nope. But it DOES make me feel less like an ass :slight_smile:

1 Like

You got some cool guy currency to spend before you end up there.

Also, I did ask for it, didn’t I? Almost literally, kind of?

1 Like

After so many steps my estimates in a realm of where I know around are quite good.

I think we can agree that the Cirklon will be under constant improvement long after Korg released a successor, but I think we can also agree, that a: Korg is not known for great delivery of updates, that they won’t be able to patch an USB C in there, and the chance, that they add another 4 tracks onto a UI that is built for 4 won’t be something to be it for :slight_smile:

I totally get your point btw. I agree in most, but that just don’t make me understand why they all try so hard to NOT innovate. It’s not that they have to think about something new, just read every thread about an upcoming sequencer and the first two weeks after release in one single forum. They are all so identical in questions and discussions, it’s quite easy to find out what people
Constantly ask for. It’s the same on at least 3 hardware-sequencers over the last few month.
The funny thing is, while their UC is totally different, and it seems their quality too, their features are quite equal…

1 Like

pretty cool to have a beatstep alternative like this, i’d probably grab it if the (much more innovative) Torso T-1 didn’t exist.

seriously though Korg, does this mean we’re going to get a flagship drum machine? give us 8 channels of multi engine & analog voices and drive it with this new sequencer engine!

I don’t know why. Organizational problems maybe. But what do you have in mind that would not be covered by an existing device ?

I think I could name a Produkt for every feature. The problem is, that it’s way more than one name :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it comes down to a few things.

1. Some things just work.
  2. Cost concerns.
  3. Innovate too far and you risk having no audience. Sometime people just don’t get something radical, or don’t want to get it.
  4. Familiar methods built on past successes ensures at least some future success.

How many people own an Octopus? That was big, full blown, somewhat innovative, and expensive. Not many people have them. Is Genoqs still even around?

There is something to be said for innovation for sure. But it doesn’t always equal better, and doesn’t always pay the bills.

Also if one is looking at Korg for true innovation, one may be looking in the wrong place. They build some great instruments and devices, but aren’t at the bleeding edge of innovation…

3 Likes

For the money, this thing might be useful to me. I’ll give it some time and see.

I cannot justify the cost of a Cirklon, nor would I expect Korg to deliver something as powerful for only $300 MSRP.

1 Like

I guess we’ve come full circle now: I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect all these features (whatever they are) in a single package, so in the end it’s all about trade-offs.

the funny thing is that for some of my needs I ended up making my own sequencer, but it’s just a tiny solution to very specific problems. And yet that was enough work for me that I now respect even more other makers achievements. These things are hard and even harder in a commercial context.

1 Like

Seems pretty neat for the price but also after watching the loopop I think a lot of the work flow type features seem pretty half baked. If I were in the spot of choosing this or a beatstep pro I think I would lean towards this. The lack of copy paste on individual steps on this style sequencer is pretty much an immediate I’m out though.

edit- I was kind of harsh in saying I didn’t like the review. It would be cool to see it in really cool jam!

Also I think it’s clear that a MIDI keyboard is CRUCIAL for the SQ to really be usable, really seems meant for it, and my guess is that Korg knows that anyone who buys one will almost certainly be pairing it with a keyboard for studio use.

£269 seems reasonable

3 Likes