Korg Volca Drum

should be the same for the VD, but on the VS, you have to turn the motion sequencer on, then you hold down the step & adjust the parameters to your liking. Can record whatever parameter motions/changes you do on the entire track as well, not just per step

4 Likes

I love the volca drum. It has the right amount of programming depth for the interface; the sequencer is fantastic and easy to set up developing rhythms on; I think it sounds excellent.

Far and away my favorite volca; Iā€™ve had most of them (the ones I still have are FM, sample, and drum), and most of them become a little boring after a while. I have not found that to be the case with the drum.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had that little bastard for so long and never got step editing to work properly! I will double check using your instructions. I love the way the Sample sounds. Just such a damn nice sound!!

1 Like

Hey I want one!

2 Likes

yea for awhile I didnā€™t know about it either. Youā€™ll freak out once you start using itā€¦ I was so excited when I found it. It opens up the Sample so muchā€¦ you can make melodiesā€¦basslinesā€¦ you can add delay to sounds here & thereā€¦ adjust start & end pointsā€¦ itā€™ll feel like the Sample is a new machine!!!

1 Like

So motion sequencer on.
Hold the step you want to adjust.
while holding the step, adjust the parameter.
but whatever parameter you adjust for that step will also be the parameter for all steps unless you adjust again. Hopefully that makes senseā€¦ but if not, once you play with itā€¦ it should make sense

3 Likes

thank you, I didnt even think it was possibleā€¦
ā€¦ this machine plus some processing does magic to my ears

wish they could tackle the value skipping/jumping that the encoders have when their position doesnā€™t line up with the value in the patch

2 Likes

It needs to be in Step Mode and hot damn it worked!

Not sure if you know about this one but if you hold down function while turning the Speed knob it will snap to ā€œnotes.ā€

I want to buy you a beer. :smiley:

3 Likes

Grrrrā€¦ I was dead set on not buying anything until the spring but now Iā€™m seriously pining for this thingā€¦!

1 Like

I just saw in a video that someone locked a pitch for a step that didnā€™t have a trigger on it. Is that possible for all of the parameters on the Volca Drum? It basically looked like a Trigless Lock (or whatever they are called these days) - a step that has a parameter locked to it but that doesnā€™t trigger a sound.

Itā€™s a pretty cheap purchase, so well worth the money.

2 Likes

hahaha yea itā€™s pretty awesome huh!?! I forgot that it needs to be in step mode as well, glad you figured it out!!!

I didnā€™t know holding down function & turning the speed knob snaps to notes. Nice!!! I bet there are a few more features I still donā€™t know about & Iā€™ve had it over 3 years. Itā€™s full of neat tricksā€¦ pretty amazing given the price. The Volcaā€™s in general really.

Iā€™m really interested in the Volca Drum, thinking it might be my next purchase.

1 Like

you can do this on the Sample tooā€¦ & it can make for some really cool soundsā€¦ for example if you have a delay on a note (loop on, which can act like a delay)ā€¦ adjust the pitch of a step after the note with the delay (a step that doesnā€™t have anything on it) & the delay sound should change pitch when the sequencer hits that stepā€¦ there are a lot of creative things you can do with changing parameters on steps that donā€™t have anything on it.

4 Likes

So after reading through this thread, I was super interested to try the Volca Drum. And I have to say, Iā€™m impressed with it, not just impressed compared to its price point, but impressed in general. The sounds are great and totally different from my other drum machines, it has a lot of great modern features (probability, independent sequencer length per track, the ā€œstep jumpā€ performance effect), and it sounds killer through a bit of drive. Hereā€™s my first go with it, paired with a Digitone (which has really complementary sounds):

24 Likes

seriously killer video!

4 Likes

Really nice performance, it really shows what the Volca drum can do. It sounds very different from other drum machines, it is a keeper indeed.

3 Likes

Great video, thanks. I also use the Digitone and VD together, they are a perfect compliment to each another :slight_smile:

1 Like

Uhhhh dude I suddenly want a Volca Drum realllllly bad.

2 Likes

This could very well be my favorite of your vids to date - outstanding stuff, man!

1 Like

Just wanted to say thanks to all for the kind words. But really, letā€™s celebrate that Korg managed to fit all this into one of their Volca units! Anybody know who the brains behind the Volca Drum is?

2 Likes