Korg Volca Drum

This chilled out dude and his cat…

7 Likes

thanks for this, awesome stuff. Such a wide ranging wee synth the Drum.

1 Like

i gotta get me one of these

3 Likes

update:

Got me one of these!

And I made this quick little ditty after messing around with it for about 15 minutes. It’s merely a jam, but I could easily turn this into a full track and plan to.

Mostly one voice of Volca Drum, 2nd voice comes in later. Drums from Nithonat 606 VST. AD EOS reverb. some compression, some delay, really not much else. But the fact that I was able to massage a fun electro hook out of it almost instantly has me inspired.

The sound of the Volca Drum reminds me both of the OP-1 and Nord Drum.

18 Likes

sick :partying_face:

1 Like

OP-1 and ND are both horses it manages to straddle, you are right!

Yea. The tone reminds me of Nord Drum. And the rubbery-ness of the modulation reminds me very much of OP-1.
What a value!

1 Like

For real!
I’ve seen some complaints about the low end but I’ve found it to be quite beefy and rounded, sounds great when sampled anyway.
It really starts to show it’s worth when you start to mess with min/max tempo, make longer sounds, record automation, trig from a modular, feed the OT, it’s a synth after all so the drum angle should be ignored and explored equally :crazy_face:
Stone cold winner from 2019 wallet wise

3 Likes

that’s it, I’m hookin mine up to the OT. its taken a seat on the subs bench recently :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Yea, i don’t need it to be perfect and replace all the various methods I have to get a good kick. I need it to be weird, and immediate, and satisfying. So far, it is all of those things.
Whole tracks with just the Volca Drum would be rather boring.

The other thing is I just sold my Monologue which i mostly used for quick little blip sounds and wild motion sequence tricks. Digital or not, for the way I wield the weapon, this thing is straight up SIX Monologues in one, for me.

6 Likes

The cement between the bricks this one…

Edit- Weird, immediate and satisfying should have been the Korg tagline! You have hit Volca nail on the head there!

1 Like

I only have the iOS version but yeah that’s a batty drum box too!

I can’t believe this thing is only $149. Wow. Korg knocked it out of the park on this one!

The screen makes a HUGE difference in terms of usability for me!

7 Likes

Volca Drum seems to be picking up a lot of momentum lately, people are realizing how cool it is!

…and I finally got my answer as to why there are so few for sale on Reverb.

Phew!

1 Like

Got mine this morning, such a great machine!
Anyone knows if I can set the knob behaviour to something like ‘pick up’? So the value won’t change until I hit the current value?

Every time I use the Volca Drum, when working on a tune with Model Samples, I get to the 2nd or 3rd voice/part and things are already plenty busy. I’m still impressed that this thing has 6 parts.

I don’t think any Volca has this option for changing knob behavior.

2 Likes

Yea the two layers per voice makes a single voice really substantial

1 Like

I’m surprised how nasty this thing can sound, really really happy with it, reminds me a lot of the Nord Drum.

1 Like

If only I was locked out of this topic.
Everyday I check-in there’s more and more comments persuading me to purchase one.
Was trying to save this year for one* hefty purchase apposed to various affordable ones.

1 Like