Korg Volca Drum

My first loop after a few hours of receiving it.
Hopefully it will dissuade you…

2 Likes

I think this jam (and this thread) just convinced me to get one of these.

5 Likes

I’ll probably have to remaster this as the master channel stuff was just done rough and quickly.
But this is the first thing I’ve made with my new Volca Drum, and my new Model Samples for that matter. But mostly Volca Drum.

Really like the pair for drums. Lots to tweak and freak.
I find the Volca Drum kicks great for this kind of broken beat style, though it does take some processing to get that heavy KNOCK tamed. Very percussive envelopes.

Analog Keys with an honorable mention.

17 Likes

This is fantastic, by the way. I ordered a Volca Drum earlier this month from Sweetwater and am still waiting for it to be back in stock and ship… repeated listens to this track isn’t helping my GAS at all!

Thanks!
Yea I got mine from Zzounds, as I got tired of waiting on Sweetwater for stock.
Zzounds has more in stock at the moment, btw.

B&H has it too with a free PSU.

2 Likes

Just got one for my birthday. This thing is funky!

6 Likes

Happy Birthday!
I got mine for Birthday too…

2 Likes

Has anyone managed to successfully do an OS update on the Volca Drum from a computer? I’ve got the latest file, and have run it several times per the instructions from my laptop - tweaking output volume, etc. with no luck. Any insights if you were able to get it done? Thanks.

Hey, I’ve felt in love too with this little.
I share my first jam only VD

And another with monostation. VD is used as a kind of synth to generate that kind of bellish sound, passed thru monostation input.

Only ever done it with an iPhone but never had problems with that, if you have the option try it.
Hopefully someone will advise you though…

iPhone. Volume all the way up. Quality cable. You don’t know how much wasted time and aggravation I’ve been through trying to upgrade (or load samples) any of the Volca series from numerous PCs and soundcards and such. Very temperamental to volume and eq / “enhancements” and such.

1 Like

I don’t know what to tell you but I’ve updated all my volcas, swapped samples a million times with the Sample, and have never had an issue using iPhones and PCs. Does your iPhone have the maximum volume limited in the Volume Limit setting? On your PC, are you using some custom EQ settings on the master? Custom EQ on the iPhone? I’ve used maybe 4 computers and 3 iPhones over the years to update and load samples, always worked flawlessly.

OK - got it to go using the file off my iPhone. Not sure what the deal was using laptop - but phone worked, so thanks to those who suggested that - much appreciated.

2 Likes

what @Synj00 said. I’ve done os updates & sample transfers (Volca Sample) with an ipad & tablet, but volume all the way up & a quality (short cable) for me is needed.

I had a lot of issues transferring samples to the Sample, until I heard those tips (volume up, short & quality cable) & now it always works. Same with os updates

The breakthrough for me was checking the “Disable all sound effects” box under the Enhancements tab in my speaker properties. Never had an issue with transferring samples to my Volca Sample after that.

1 Like

That should have been the very first troubleshooting step for OP, it says to do this right in the manual.

Hi! I’m wondering about the MIDI implementation in this one.

Is triggering of the different tracks easy? Can it be done on a single channel?

Can you play the drums chromatically via MIDI? how is that implemented?

Most of all, I’m just looking out for silly oversights you wouldn’t think of when buying a piece like this… Any “oh, the Drum does not actually trigger via MIDI” type of fun surprises I’d like to avoid :smiley:

Thanks so much!

1 Like

Midi implementation looks pretty good.

Channel 1-6 for parts 1-6:

And all on one midi channel, different midi cc for parts 1-6:

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/809/4260/

2 Likes

Yea, reminds me of the Nord Drum 2 in this regard.

Looks like you might also be able to play it chromatically per channel, since each sound doesn’t correspond to a note number.

So MIDI ARP time with an OT or MM could really make this beast sing more than it already does.

I did just that with MM+ND2 and got some fun results.

Probably won’t need to p-lock the EQ so hard on those kicks as the ND2 required, either.

6 Likes

Would love to get confirmation on this! Not a dealbreaker but definitely would be a massive bonus…