Korg Volca Drum

14 Likes

Brilliantā€¦maybe someone is going to regret having sold it after watching this videoā€¦:sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Probably not

For those using the VD with ableton, I am using this M4L editor (v0.4 is latest) to save single sound presets, I prefer this over kits. The way I make it is with the editor (need split channel mode) and external instrument in an instrument rack

Eg, One kick preset with ex inst. set to midi channel 1, a snare preset with midi channel set to 2

My intention is to use the VD as two part monophonic drum synth, same I do with M:C. But VD sound leaks a bit to the orher side even when hard panned (trs output fault?), M:C does not leak. I prefer this method for multi tracking

For the presets to work I had to remove the Lay 1-2 knobs, otherwise it did not work. My guess is the editor sends the L1-2 knob CC data when you load a preset and breaks it. Also had to remove the kit and program knobs, other wise when you load a second preset it loads a kit and a pattern

For some reason delay settings are not saved either.
I am a completely beginner in M4L, otherwise I would try to modify it further. Maybe someone with M4L knowledge could take this a step further, contacting both authors first of course.

Youtube member penguinoid also uploaded a folder with the files to add waveforms to the editor, I just can not make it work.

His instructions " drag the m4l file into Live from the folder, then save, and it should copy over the .png files, which youā€™ll need."

Velo2VolcaD is also a very powerful tool but for single channel use, but for some reason I think it has some kind of code added that would upload that youtube channel when staring ableton (edit: Contacted developer and has been fixed, were just links to developer site for us to click if we wanted are were not supposed to do that)

Edit:

One more thing, I was trying to sequence the VD via ableton and added few envelopes to one track, I try to play another track it goes nuts, slows down and glitches, you can see the display changing like crazyā€¦

Anyone?

2 Likes

The creators of Velo2VolcaD will release a single channel M4L editor in a few weksā€¦looks nice; looks like what I said yesterday I am using but very well done.

EDIT: I have further edited the volca editor made by mugenkidou and modified by Penguinoid, I have added QPI control and mapped all controls so they are visible in push 2

I have removed Layer 1-2 controls as well as Program and Kit knobs, this way you can save single sounds as presets . You can load each preset to a different track changing the midi channel

Maybe there is a way to prevent Layer 1-2 controls from breaking the presets when loaded, I do not how to do it though.

I have also added a speedlimit 5ms object to each knob , the VD was going crazy when using a few Ableton LFOs with it

You can store single sounds in ableton, load them one by one in volca drum and then save the whole thing as a kit in volca drum if you wish too.

I think is very good way to make a Volca Drum sound library if you already own ableton.

All three files have to be in the same folder for the wave selector image to work

Edit: Rearranged the push 2 knob position, also changed the live.dial parameter type to Float.
There is a bug? in Live that prevents some M4L automation envelopes from showing full range.

Volca Drum editor.rar (184.9 KB)

If you think you can improve it somehow please doā€¦

5 Likes

I have a big dumb question. How did the guy who released an alternative firmware for the Volca Sample, get a hold of the firmware, and can the same be done for the Volca Drum?

1 Like

Thatā€™s a great question to ask of the guy who actually did it

1 Like

Fair. I donā€™t have an account, though. :confused:

Thatā€™s too bad.

New accounts are expensive to open over there too.

They start at $0

:wink:

3 Likes

I am building a ā€˜volca drumā€™ engine replica in my nord modular, this thread is of great help!

If we ever get back to work, I might need to try one in real life and see how close I got :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Would love to see the finished product. Suppose it could be done in reaktor or pure data is something like that as well.

I see what you did thereā€¦lol.

1 Like

Hit me up if you get anywhere! Would love to see it

So Iā€™m not the only one still struggling with the g1 editor today?

From all the excellent Volca Drum demos and compositions I am mostly amazed by itā€™s sound qualities. Iā€™ll pay homage to the dual layer concept and the sonic flexibility of the drum. Setting up similar cc controls. I thought about adding a sequencer, but in my current setup it will be sequenced by my octatrack and would overcomplicate things. (although sequencing my Volca FMā€™s sequencer is a very deep rabbit hole to explore)

Iā€™ll share if I get something worth adding to the immense available online archives. Itā€™s more a personal challenge and means to reach a lot of happy accidents (new patches) along the way!

After this crisis, I will buy a Volca Drum!

1 Like

Nice. Should be interesting.

My next experiment/use case with Volca drum is to use it in conjunction with my A4

VD into Platform comp into A4 into MicroLimiter.

Should be plenty of channels for interesting tunes. Both instruments make great kicks and percussion so lots of ways to use each to open up track availability for the other.

I may even keep it to just two sounds on the VD to make 6 sounds total per tune, like on my Model Samples (and OT, lately due to looping fx track and master track).
P-locked A4 FX track reverb sends on hi Hat steps should help as well.

2 Likes

Not sure if this was posted before, but this could useful to program the VD. Saving out programs would be great but ā€¦

4 Likes

just imagine Korg would release this as hardware and soma competitorā€¦

8 Likes

Iā€™m digging up a dead thread to throw my vote in for this. If Elektron could pull this off before Korgā€¦ You know they gotta be working on a full blown implementation of the Volca Drum, they would be throwing away a fantastic opportunity if they werenā€™t.

I went and bought Microtonic - a 16ish year old product because it is still :fire: and it gives me more control (multiple outs + a bit more robust implementation overall) than the Volca does.

2 Likes

You mean in hardware? Iā€™m guessing itā€™ll be close in size the the panel of my MS-20 Mini, unless they really want the knobs to be super tiny.

would be nice to see a proper hands on or matured Volca series :scream:

imagine a poly modular in the same format :sunglasses: