Korg Volca Drum

Tiny knobs would be a dealbreaker for me

Microtonic is my go-to soft drum synth. The latest update, which was a very long time coming, brings it up to speed with the latest drum synths out there. Itā€™s so simple but massively effective :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Itā€™s why I returned mine. Love everything about it but that. That many tiny knobs though on the mockup would give me a brain aneurysm.

Still tempted though to grab a Volca Drum again and give it another try, especially with the software editors out there now for it.

any recommendations for nice ways to sequence the VD externally?

If itā€™s the same as the VB, each drum can be triggered from a certain note. I know at one point I had a program on my MPC mapped so I could sequence the Beats.

1 Like

Ton of ways - the Midi CC implementation is the best Iā€™ve ever seen on a Volca and honestly better than most of the bigger machines. Has Single Channel mode so only eats one channel (usually drums are on 10). Or Multi Channel where each channel on the Volca Drum corresponds to a single midi channel.

I absolutely do not have any reservations about eating 6 channels out of the 8 on the DT as I think the

Is completely worth it. I have 2 extra channels to use for my other gear.

I put together a template in FL Studio that maps the controls to midi channels and has 6 groups with automation lanes. I think I shared it here :thinking: if anyone is interested Iā€™ll dig it up.

There is a for $ Ableton automation plugin. Looks good and no doubt way better than mine. So Ableton itself can sequence as well and you just map the controls you want as you go or create a template. Bitwig Studioā€¦ Logicā€¦ Cubaseā€¦ Basically any DAW or any gear with a sequencer and midi output.

But the fun for me comes from plugging a midi cable straight out of the Digitakt, into the Volca Drum, sequencing and and p-locking anything I want.

Experiment and have fun. Thatā€™s what itā€™s all about :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thanks for the great reply.
Yea the DT sounds perfect :slight_smile:

Now that u mention that, the Octa might be killer with the VD. Sequence n cc it while live sampling / resequencing / effects.

Thanks for that @Synj00

1 Like

Dude that would be sick!! Live mangling + the weird waveguide stuff?! Game over!

1 Like

The randomization of sound and pattern seems really intriguing. I wonder if there are any other instrument like this? Iā€™m exploring the Cycles + iOS Tensor app route to avoid the small Volca knobsā€¦

This is a great combo for randomization.

And yea that really was my only gripe with Volca Drum. Those small knobs didnā€™t do the instrument any justice.

Some great sounds hereā€¦

8 Likes

@Fin25 watch the video above this postā€¦

1 Like

I like it

1 Like

Thought you might. Must admit Iā€™ve got my eye on the volca drum. Sequence it from an elektronā€¦

Would probably own one already if I had my finger on the pulse and knew about them when they came out.

1 Like

Iā€™ve thought about getting a volca drum in the past, but thereā€™s just something about the volcas that doesnā€™t agree with me.

Weā€™ll, Iā€™ll be honest, Iā€™ve got sausage fingers.

Thats why it has a midi socket :wink:

3 Likes

OP-1 for 600 bucks would be a real gamechanger.

1 Like

I still have and love my OP-1.

You may disregard the comments I made about Volca Drum.

1 Like

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong but Digital percussion synthesizer is something rare in the world of drum machines isnā€™t it? It looks like drum machines are more of sample based or analog. Volca Drum looks pretty experimental I would sayā€¦

Check batteries