Korg Volca Drum

Yeah I can only think off the Nord Drum series although not a machine as they don’t have a sequencer…
The Korg is the closest thing I’ve heard to the ND series, lots of tasty avenues to explore.
You gassed up on the Korg or just thinking aloud :wink:?

1 Like

I don’t know if you mean stuff currently on the market but off the top of my head there was the korg er1 and, of course, the machinedrum. Oh, and the model cycles. Plus tons of digital synths with sequencers that happen to be good at percussive sounds. I still want a volca drum though.

2 Likes

TR8/6s has drum synthesis as well IIRC

Sonic Potions LXR also looks really cool

Well, I have ordered Drum and after sometime I have cancelled my order as I really was confused of the fact that I don’t know what to expect from it. I have changed my order to Volca FM.

The gas coukd return and you can always try the Drum later! Or return the FM if it turns out to be a let-down!
Enjoy anyways, the FM is good fun too

1 Like

I don’t know If I have misunderstood this machine, because it’s such a basic feature…? If you set the pitches of the two layers the way you like them, and then edit both layers the two pitches should stay the same - relative to each other? They don’t. Once you turn the pitch knob (editing both layers) they jump and you get another ratio between the two pitches.

Not sure if I’m reading your post correctly, Olof but it sounds like the same quirk or behaviour that I’d ran into recently too. Pitching one layer to be a perfect fifth harmony to another, I hoped that pitching both layers after would keep this relationship…it seemed that then changing pitch for both layers was overriding and they were snapping to both having the same pitch value. I could be wrong! Coming in and out of the tiny menu pop-ups can be a bit disorienting!

Exactly this. So weird…

1 Like

Is there a combination of button presses or some other quick way to initialize sounds/tracks so I can easily start from scratch?

1 Like

Good question. I’ve ended up just creating kits to start shaping from a couple of different starting points. One melodic kit, one all noise-based (couple low-passed noise sound, couple band-passed and couple high-passed). Then using Octatrack to shape via MIDI CCs - using the envelopes, mod amounts and other sound-shaping options like but reduction and wavefold etc.

Powerful options in there but prefer to assign MIDI control of the stuff in the edit menus: find it a bit fiddly (as much as I love the all the potential for shaping!)

1 Like

Sorry to resurrect this thread, searched the forum and googled…anyone else have problem with the CC for changing the waveguide model? In both the split and single channel midi impl manual it is CC 116, but however I configure things, sending 116 and values from 0-127 doesn’t change the waveguide model. Has anyone managed to automate this parameter? I’m using the Digitone midi sequencer.

EDIT: Sorry. never mind, using my eyes not my ears. It seems it does change at the half way point on 0-127, it is just the graphic doesn’t update until whatever “decay” is going on has finished.

You’ve been AudioPilz’d

6 Likes

Has anyone put a midi out on theirs [if that even helps]? I really want to have it in my setup, and with oscillator sink’s web app one can edit and save the sound. But it drives me a bit potty that I can’t dump all data (for the sounds only - i sequence externally anyway) that’s on the volca drum to a file on my computer for save keeping.

Here’s one of my jams for some reason this video has way more views than any other video on my channel: the korg volca drum is a brutal industrial machine - YouTube

3 Likes

No but also interested. I’ve tied myself in knots previously and lost kits and patterns. Wonder if the new Volca FM represents the start of mk2 iterations (bringing MIDI and other newness) - we can hope but yeah for now cool to know if mods are worth it.

2 Likes

Uh, that would be amazing! Btw., one thing I’ve never seen mentioned about the Volca Drum is, that it always sounds alive, and I love that. It doesn’t sound like one-shot samples.

5 Likes

Absolutely, it’s one of my favourite electronic instruments, full-stop! Positively bristles with energy and still surprises me after a lot of time spent with it. In a funk or bored? Randomise parts and wonder/laugh/go ‘ohhhh!’.

6 Likes

This actually made me want to get an old Electribe as they always seem really fun (and I love the EMX-1).

So far this vst has been my preferred option for the lack of memory of the VD. It can save kits and/or sounds in a laptop.
It’s still a one way street since you can only drop sounds from the computer to the Volca, but is nice to be able to design and load individual sounds with the familiar UI and keeping all files in one place.

1 Like

Why isn’t this so much more hype?

That was a slow pint - lost in the groove. This thing excels at proper ghetto techno grooves. I’m going to just say this is my favourite drum machine I’ve ever owned, after an hour or so’s use .

Can’t fucking wait to slam it through some effects on the SP. Filth!

6 Likes

This is about 600 quid cheaper than Syntakt and better than Syntakt. I only had one pint, it’s not the booze talking

1 Like