Korg Volca Drum

It’s one of those boxes where individual sounds can come across a bit shite but that really comes together when played as a whole. There’s a lot of lovely noise and dynamics in playing as a full kit.

For the price it’s a crazy deal.

In vino veritas

3 Likes

16 step sequencer, fiddly knobs, unconventional sound palette. I loved mine but I completely understand why some people write it off. I would be super hyped if the drumlogue had the Volca Drum sound engine.

3 Likes

And p-locks/probability per-step!

That’s the big one. Volca knobs suck.

Yep, it’s impossible to get a decent kick out of it. Wicked for weirdo percussion and noisy filth loops though.

Agree with all of this… Except. You might be on crack if you can’t get a good kick out of it :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Agree that 16 steps is limiting - I think you just have to accept it’s a tune at a time jobby and build up 4x16 and make some fills etc

Yeah I got great kicks out of it.

The dealbreaker for me was lack of decent pattern/kit storage, or at least a backup option. I found that I filled it with kits too quickly and didn’t want to make any more because I’d lose the previous ones.

2 Likes

I really had big hopes that this would happen (sigh)

But my wallet thanks Korg for failing to make this real

1 Like

Workflow dependent I suppose.

I’ll be just recording loops into SP-404 and wiping it to start fresh after, or even multiple times over a tune attempt

1 Like

Haven’t really checked it out - is it a bit of a dud?

I think the title ‘drum’ is a bit misleading

I’ve just watched reviews and demos (like all of them, ha ha)

It’s not that the Drumlogue is uninteresting, it’s just that it has basically nothing to do with the Volca Drum - and the Volca Drum is interesting!

I’d say it’s not very very innovative. And innovation is something I value in gear being released nowadays.

Volca drum is incredible. Do wish it came in a bigger box with bigger knobs.

4 Likes

Yeah a bigger version of it with maybe a half decent reverb and delay at the end each synth engine, 8 tracks. Perfect.

Although I do see the 6 tracks as potentially 12 performable tracks. I found myself making sounds I was really happy with on one layer, and can then have a completely different sound to bring in over it in a performable manner. And that can seem like it’s on other tracks with the envelopes and whatever the weird delay thing is

1 Like

I will be getting another. I also got the modular but not delved into it yet.

Syntakt is going.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s great for that or for using the random generate function to make drum sounds to sample on the SP404.

The modular is also fantastic, I learned tons about patching which has helped me quickly get up and running on my Moog Grandmother. I recommend the Volca Modular ebook by Tony Horgan. It was really helpful.

I sort of gave up on designing my own stuff on the Volca Drum, but if I were going to go that route, the ebook for that one is really good as well.

I need to break the Volcas out again. They are cheap enough that I don’t feel bad about sticking them in a drawer for extended periods and pulling them out when the mood strikes me. Fantastic learning tools and they sound great!

2 Likes

Will check those out :slight_smile:

I would point out that I am not for one second saying that Volca Drum is a higher spec device than the Syntakt, in all seriousness.

But value is subjective, and a good measure of value is can you get shit done in less time. I definitely can with a Volca and a great sampler

4 Likes

Interesting. I’m the opposite actually. I find that the Syntakt is super easy to get going with, and things like the FX block really take it to another level in terms of making unique sounds.

I ended up recording an hour of completely randomised Volca Drum sounds and then selling it. Got them as a huge sample chain on my M8 now, with a few variations recorded through an MS20 filter for good measure :metal:

2 Likes

I have a Volca beats and still love it. I use it with modular and tons of fun.

1 Like

This guy has gone well deep and informative on the Drum. I respect the dedication he put into his Drum series!

2 Likes