Korg Volca Drum

I hope the random button is midi cc’able. would be super fun for auto sampling

3 Likes

Wow great idea, can imagine having a tons of fun with that + OT probability. If it turns out to be possible I’ll surely buy this.

This is wrong thinking. Most gear can be sold easily.

especially the volcas.

Yeah, I was thinking that it might be a fun for sitting on the couch and coming up with backing rhythms.

I really like my PO32, but 4-note polyphony is a bit limiting and the real power comes from importing new sounds via the Microtonic software. The Korg looks like it could solve the polyphony problem and be a bit more immediate in terms of drum sculpting in the box. My interest level has gone up but I definitely want to try it out before buying one. If I like it I might consider selling my PO32 (particularly since I’ll still have Microtonic in the DAW). I do want to see what gets announced at NAMM though before I make any decisions.

1 Like

Partly, in some places, though the most SOPHIE-esque version of this is actually time modulating a flanger FX machine rather than the delay. Sounds a bit more synthetic and less twangy (?).

1 Like

Interesting but really thin pressureless tincan sounds. I prefer uTonic.

Hey Elektron, will you please get in touch with Magnus and his brother and put a proper Digitakt box around uTonic?

I guess, i have no other choice and start my Tonic-Pack for the Digitakt.

4 Likes

Come to think of it the randomize drum and randomize pattern function on the Volca Drum seems like a rudimentary version of the web generator for Microtonic. It could yield some good results.

It really doesnt sound very good does it? Ive ordered one despite the sound because i just really want the functionality. Sounds very snappy at least (as it should)

1 Like

Probably going to be a good source of toppy/blippy/random rhythmic sequences that augment the main rhythm pattern.

Yeah def not first chair percussion.

1 Like

I wanna get one too but then I look at my ipad and all the cool noise making apps I have already. I am just going to be sampling it anyway with my digitakt. Maybe I’ll grab one when they start showing up used.

3 Likes

I pulled out my PO32 after reading this thread and even though it has had only light use over the past year, it has already stopped working (bad battery connection). I’m gonna try to get it fixed, but I think my experiment with the PO series is over. Maybe I’ll pick one of these up after all. Whatever complaint one might have about the Volca series, build quality is not one.

Anything can sound good when ran through the right effects such as distortions, delays, reverbs, etc. it’s more about how creative and inspiring the box is.

I can see this box will be fun for a little while

1 Like

Im not saying the Volcas cant be resold. Im saying pretty much you can recoup a lot of your money back on most gear in the first year of its life. So expensive gear isnt a gamble either, which is what you said is.

1 Like

I also had a battery issue with my P.O. 33 and it might not be the same issue but it was an easy 10 sec fix. I bent the two prongs that touch the positive and negative sides of the battery towards each other to clamp on the batteries much tighter and it worked. :+1:

2 Likes

Gamble.Take risky action in the hope of a desired result.

You said it not me dude. Lol.

Which(sensible) equipment is a high stakes gamble that you wont get most of your money back in comparison to the Volcas?

I watched the cuckoo video again now with the knowledge that ive ordered one and could not be happier. 150 quid brand new! I dont understand how anybody could be on the fence when there is just an unbelievable amount of scope in this machine. You could never run out ideas!

2 Likes

I think you’re reading in between the lines when nothing is there to read.
All he’s saying is the Volca’s are not a high risk. That’s it.
That doesn’t mean he thinks all other gear IS high risk.
This discussion is about Volca’s…
I think his opinion is simple… buying a Volca is a win win!! :blush:

Yea I should stay out of it. I like debating tho :sunglasses:
I have a lot of gear that I will lose a lot of money when I sell them. That’s fact. It’s always a gamble when it comes to actually making money off gear. The cheaper the gear is there’s clearly less of a gamble. Less money, less gamble. Of course there are other factors (availability, how popular it is, are they still being made, ect, ect, ect)

Gone off this a bit after watching the cuckoo video. The resonator is essentially just a master delay, with send from each voice, and the synthesis is pretty basic. Editing looks pretty annoying as well. Will be interesting to hear what people do with it once it’s out in the wild.

4 Likes