Latency using RYTM's External-AudioIn with other MainSoundcard

Hello

I’m running out of Audio-Ins on my UAD Apollo (plus 8 adat, hehe)
so the additional Stereo-In of my Rytm would be handy.

From how i understand the Audio-In is currently routed directly before the Master Compressor. not ideal, i would prefer it as flexible as on the A4, but i can live with that for now.

Basically I got it working:

• a Test-Tanzbär-Kickdrum sent to AR-Analog-Input and also to Apollo
  • Main L+R activated in Overbridge
  • the signal arrives in Ableton through the Overbridge-Plugin

BUT i get latency of more or less 25ms compared to the same audio-signal routed through a Apollo-Channel via Ableton’s “External Instrument” Plugin.

a) is there anything i can do about it - but correcting it manually in ableton?

b) if not: is there a way to calculate how much correction is needed, to make it accurate?

thanks guys
d

hm, does nobody use the RYTM like that?

If you mouse over the title bar on the OB plugin in Ableton Live, you’ll see in the bottom status bar in the Live window, a calculation of the added latency.

You can input this number in the track delay section of your other channels to get things sync’d up. You’ll be increasing the latency of those apollo channels, but that’s the best you’ll be able to get from it, and it’s (at least) less than the latency you would get from the core audio AR driver.

hi adam

thanks for your feedback.
i think i tried that, didn’t seem to make sense…
but i will check again, maybe i only tried with my Virus TI, where i tested the same…

also: what does it do with the RYTMs internal channels (i have them on single overbridge channels with Live’s external instrument plugin)? will the setting influence them also?

Yea, so if you impart a negative delay on any track, that is the same as imparting positive delay on all other tracks. So they will be effected.

If you want to get your most latency ridden track in sync with all the others, there’s no way to bump that track forward, you must effectively move all the others back and therefore your total latency is only as fast as the latest channel.

hi thanks again.

i’m testing this atm.

the AR-Plugin says it has 58,2 ms latency (really?)
If i put the track delay of the input to that it’s completely off.

i have now tried to adjust AR’s input track delay by ear - to the same signal through the apollo input in a external instrument channel - and i arrive at more or less 18.80ms

i tried any multipliers or dividers of any buffer being used, but don’t get to any logic.

Also i’m very surprised to see 58,2 ms latency in the AR-Plugin, until now i have only synced up sequences or step sequenced the AR from Push, so i didn’t realise…

Pretty sure that latency # includes your OB plugin buffer. So you can reduce that in hopes of achieving lower latency.

Hi Adam,

you can see on the top right that my buffer is 128 samples.

By ear I got to a track delay of 18.8 ms on the Audio-In, Ableton says that’s 829 samples.

I cannot find any logical connection between the 58ms latency compensation, those 128 samples Overbrigde uses as buffer and the 18.8ms that i hear…

As I find it hard to get it 100% right by ear i would really prefer a way to calculate it… :wink:

thanks