LEARN ORCΛ LIVE CODING ~ IN DEPTH TUTORIAL (Pt. 1)

Made this tutorial to get you started live coding with ORCA. The video features an OP-Z but you can easily exchange that with any piece of Elektron gear for awesome results.

26 Likes

Interesting, thank you!

1 Like

You’re welcome!

yes! Thanks for this. There isn’t a whole lot to go on, when trying to learn orca. What saves a lot of headaches is that it’s fairly straightforward, once you learn the commands. All the same, I’m glad someone (you) put this together.

1 Like

No problem! I hope you enjoy it :slight_smile:

Anyone interested in ORCA feel free to join my Discord :slight_smile:

ORCA, Octatrack, all other elektron gear, Deluge, OP-Z, Bitwig, and eventaully Polyend Tracker. This are topics we are discussing most.

1 Like

ORCA is super cool, and thanks for making this video!

Found out about ORCA in a rather odd way.

I’d been watching various sailing videos (circumnavigation mainly) on YouTube during the pandemic, kind of a way to travel without traveling, and the YT algorithm recommended the channel of the developers, who happen to sail.

Then I hear in the videos them talking about programming, and ORCA is mentioned.
The internet can be a very small world sometimes.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s them - Hundredrabbits! Haha, what a small world sometimes. Well feel free to jump into the discord anytime and chat about it. That link will never expire.

1 Like

Soooooo…Like going white water rafting and deciding to paddle upstream? Just kidding, this has wet my appetite…Thanks…

1 Like

Haha! tell us more! :slight_smile:

Super cool! Just spent all night messing around on ORCA :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yay! I use ORCA to control Model:Cycles and it makes it way more versatile. I also started controlling Minilogue XD together with it last night for the first time which was a lot of fun. I could easily hook up all my Elektron gear and go crazy… It’s a great way to experiment and do things you’d never dream of.

My main tip for anyone using it would be to get your head around the way it operates with the base 36 table. I always have this page to hand and add info within my patches so I know how to transpose CC values quickly for example.

2 Likes

I watched your tutorial on the weekend and got my feet wet with ORCA.
Very interesting, I was able to get some pretty nice generative sounds controlling my digitone.

1 Like

Digitone is perfect for Orca! Glad the video is helping people make some tunes.

1 Like

Yeah really nice on the lush pads!!!

1 Like

well now I might have to make some music! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had a workshop yesterday with NSDOS.
This is some notes I took, to be pasted here:

https://metasyn.github.io/learn-orca/

#o.midi.channel.##.X.coord......##.create.3.digits..o# ##..R8..........##..2Rh.........##...R2..R9..R9.....## ##..78T01234567.##.xVc..........##.aV1.bV5.cV1......## ##..mV7.........##..............##..................## #o.octave.......##.Y.coord......##.randomize.bpm....o# ##..R8..........##..2Rh.........##.aC...............## ##..08T01234567.##.yVg..........##..28T*............## ##..oV0.........##..............##.......3Kabc......## #o.note.........o#..............##....$APM:151......## ##..R8..........##..............##..................## ##..58T01234567.o#.generator....o#..................## ##..nV5.........##.2Kxy...3Kmon.o#..................o# ##..............##...cg6GDR:705.o#.NSDOS.22.03.2022.o# #o..............##..............##..................o#

Edit: corrected version on patchstorage:

5 Likes