Learning new instruments as an adult

lol when I see @Kegeratorz and @HoldMyBeer make back to back posts in the same thread

not that that just happened but I’ve thought it before.

3 Likes

except for the general advanced cost and spittle phobia of even a used wind controller I’ve always thought this seemed cool but for some reason the recorder specifically entertains me because it’s range of sounds go from comical to classical. I could always take up the penny whistle if this doesn’t work out.

actually everything you’ve provided insight into is really helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to do so. It’s also reassuring to know that I’m not the only one who gets invested in these kind of things that other people might find esoteric. thanks again.

even in the other thread that I linked, the information shared was helpful.

:rofl:

2 Likes

That sounds awesome! I might look into whether these kinds of things exist here in Japan.

The music schools here do special summer lessons where you can do like a pack of lessons for a particular instrument to either try out an instrument or concentrate on learning one thing (like a song or technique). I did that for flute the year I started and it was pretty fun, but it would be much nicer to go somewhere in nature.

1 Like

I had a great time!

There were a surprising number of Japanese attendees at the Colorado camp. Most of them were retirees, except for 2 women in their 20s - I forgot how or why they revealed their ages. One was the lone student of, I believe, Yoko Hiraoka, a master of koto and shamisen teaching at a university in Boulder CO I think. The other woman was a shakuhachi student who was a good friend of Miura Taro, who said he was a shakuhachi maker. For whatever reason, I ended up hanging out a lot with Miura-san and his Japanese friends - maybe part of the reason was this particular group was comfortable speaking English. They said that in Japan, it’s awkward to study with a teacher of a different shakuhachi ryu when you’ve committed to a particular ryu. But if you study with a teacher of a different ryu in the US, it’s socially acceptable. I dunno, there might have been something lost in translation there. :grinning: Each ryu has its repertoire and stuff, so I can imagine a ryu member being curious about stuff from a different ryu, sooner or later.

The camp was held at Sunrise Ranch. We had our meals at the ranch cafeteria. The quality of cuisine was impressive.

2 Likes