Level/Data knob click randomly works

Just got a new Digitakt and Level/Data knob doesn’t work all the time. Have to press it several times. I assume this is a wrong behavior and it’s a defective unit?!

I know I can use the arrows and yes/no to navigate but I guess the knob should also work fine.

Video with example:

Have you tried a reset to factory?
It did the trick for me on the Digitone as the D knob was acting weird as well.
Hope it helps :slight_smile:

Nope, it’s a user input software thing … mostly unusable unless you are overly precise when pressing to not accidentally turn the encoder … I’ve wanted this to be filtered for ages, if possible

But it’s not a defect

Every encoder will behave identically in test mode, your solution is to be pressing without twisting (even a little) which is easier said than done intentionally, let alone naturally

Push activating used to be so useful and xonsistent, less so with these new fine resolution sin-cos pots sadly

I understand that. And it makes sense for knobs to be highly sensitive when changing parameters like levels, etc.

But with navigation if they can have a threshold to decide whether they jump up or down on the menu it would be trivial to take action on the click if the click occurs before the threshold to scroll up or down.

I’m a software dev myself so I believe this would be trivial to implement.

In other words if you click and it doesn’t accept the action and doesn’t even move up or down on the navigation at least it could accept the click as the intended action. So user is left with no action, no click action and no navigate action most of the time.

Yes I did a factory reset and same erratic behavior persists.

I never even realised it clicked, turning seemed to get the job done in my usage.

it’s intended as a convenient alternative to [Yes], it’s also typically used (in a pressed state) as a means to snap or accelerate through the range

the issue is that it’s too sensitive and iirc, the press will be nulled if there’s the smallest of turns once you press or release … i.e. it is not filtering this highly likely outcome which shouldn’t really ever be mistaken for a deliberate attempt to push turn

imho, it just needs a bit of finessing to make the interface usable as intended

1 Like