LFO Parameters Values & What They Mean Musically

I’m trying to get my head around the LFO and how some of the parameter values translate. My current idea is to set a cluster of similar samples, say 4 snares in slots all next to each other

Slot5 - snare 1
Slot6 - snare 2
Slot7 - snare 3
Slot8 - snare 4

Realizing that if I try this idea with sounds I’ll struggle to understand how the values actually function. So I open Ableton and go through a whole process of recording my voice saying 1, 2, 3, 4… 127. I edit them into 127 different samples and load them on the DIGITAKT.

Once loaded I create a new project and load the samples.

On TRACK 1 I set the default sample to 63 and begin my experiment. Below is a picture of the LFO page.

I’m curious what this might tell you. I’ve attached a .zip file if any of you want to grab the counting and run your own experiment. count.zip (9.2 MB)

What I basically learned is that IF I want to run my above move to ‘intelligently’ randomize sounds I’ll have to be methodical. To randomize sounds I’ll group my samples into 4, set the default for the 3rd of the 4th slot.

NOTE: :heat: indicates where I made changes on the parameter pages.
NOTE: the entire experiment the default sample never changes from slot63.

SPEED: 63
Mult: BPM 1
FADE: 0
DESTINATION: Sample Slot
WAVE: Random
SPH: 0
MODE: Free
Depth: 1

I hear 63 (default sample for the track), 61, 62 and 64. In other words the samples load access 2 samples below and 1 above.

Slot range: -2/+1

Depth: -1:heat:

I change the depth to -1 and there are no apparent changes. I wondered if the DIGITAKT would access +2 slots and -1 a slot, but it does not.

Slot range: -2/+1

Depth: 2:heat:

Now it gets interesting. When I change the value of the depth from 1 to 2 I hear 59-66. Which means it doubles down, accessing 4 samples below and 3 samples up.

Slot range: -4/+3

Depth: 3:heat:

Changing the depth from 2 to 3 accesses sample slots 57 - 68. In effect changing the sample range 2 up and 2 down.

Slot range: -6/+5

Depth: 4:heat:

I thought when I went from 3 to 4 it would again widen the spread by 2 both up/down. It did not. Instead went down 3 and up 2 (like when we were at 1). Which tells me there is math I’m both not seeing and not experienced enough to name. Probably something to do with integers and elektron voodoo. At a depth of 4, with the default sample slot being 63 (unchanged the entire time) the range is now sample slot 54 to 70.

Slot range: -9/+7

4 Likes

Here is a little track I did with it. 4 sounds, all using the random LFO from above. i’m ‘performing’ it with the ct-all and reload pattern and muting.

One observation… it seems less random when it is music NOT slot numbers.

1 Like

Thanks for working this out! It makes no sense that it goes in the negative area when depth is set to +… Please change this Elektron! It always ends up muting the sound when selecting slot 0. Sometimes this is wanted but I find the LFO could do way more than what is possible atm…

The DT would also profit from a 2nd LFO per channel which could be routed to affect the 1st LFO… like on the Monomachine! Having 2nd LFO driving values of the first is crucial to my workflow and opens up so many possibilities.

Upping ab old post I know but thanks for working that out. I’m having a hard time trying to play random samples within a precise range.