Live Techno with Analog Rytm, Octatrack, TT-303 and Shruthi XT + My approach to transitioning between tracks with OT + Drum Machine

Hi ya’ll,

I’d like to share some live techno jam thingie I recorded and post my approch to transitioning with OT + drum machine I developed during the past months.

It’s a rather specific way of transitioning seamlessly between parts and requires certain steps to be followed, but it’s always possible to transition by other means like with a looper, driving tracks into fx etc. Just have to mute tracks or adjust parts beforehand.

For my techno stuff, I split each bank in 4x4 patterns, so 4 patterns are one track, the next four are another track etc. OT and AR are clock synced, but no program changes are sent/received, so they start/stop together, but pattern changing is independent.
The 4 patterns are basically intro, A, B and break/outro, by muting tracks, using scenes, performance macros, tweaking things and combining different patterns there’s enough possibilities.

On OT I use only two tracks with samples and when I change to the next part, the two sample tracks from the previous part continue to play (I just paste the two tracks from the previous part onto the next). For transitioning, I simply turn down the level on those two tracks and fade in the new ones.
I also have a scene set up that is saved on all parts. That scene is a low pass filter on the master dj eq. So before changing patterns to the next part, I can fade in that scene to low pass filter all sample tracks which would also “cover up” all differences between the two parts that might happen from tweaking parameters before changing to the next one.

Patterns 01-04 use OT tracks 1 and 2
Patterns 05-08 use OT tracks 3 and 4 (levels of 3 and 4 are down, levels of 1 and 2 are up)
Patterns 09-12 use OT tracks 1 and 2 (levels of 1 and 2 are down and 3 and 4 are up)
Patterns 13-16 use OT tracks 3 and 4 (levels of 1 and 2 are up and 3 and 4 are down)

So changing to the next part basically continues to play the same tracks as before and the LP scene makes sure that I can tweak parameters as I like without any jumps.

Seamlessly transitioning always works from one part to the next (though in theory it could be set up to work from any part to whichever one wanted, it’s just a matter of which tracks are pasted where and which levels are up).

There is another approach which gives maximum freedom in transitioning whenever you want and to whichever track you want, that is using only one pattern, never changing parts on OT and just load samples/loops as you go (would only really work well for loops and changing effects would have to be done manually) or using the “transition trick”.

I never had issues with the transition trick, but somehow I don’t like using it…one trig/rec trig not set correctly would result in silence.

Hope ya’ll enjoy my jawless damn! :wink:

Cheers