Long hair music that slaps

This one is always a pick me up

I thought this would be about metal :joy:

3 Likes

Wow, you so succinctly expressed how I feel about this piece in a way I wasn’t exactly aware of. I remember once walking through a park listening to it as Spring just started to emerge and the sun broke through the trees and I felt so happy, free, and almost simultaneously, melancholic.

1 Like

me too! Here’s long hair music that slaps:

4 Likes

And here’s classical music that slaps (actually one of my alltime favourites), although the composer had short hair.

5 Likes

Vivaldi was able to compose what Spring initially feels like.

The violins are the optimism. The cellos give the feeling of preparing for something. It’s two cleverly contrasting moods simultaneously.

Then Spring 2 comes in with its more ominous nature… Spring 3 feels to me like building fortitude.

It’s a healing piece for me. I feel content after listening to it.

I know it’s not cool and has been killed by shitty theme park adverts, but this is actually a pretty crazy piece of music, if you imagine yourself hearing it for the first time… my seven year old and I enjoy bouncing around to it.

At the other end of the scale, probably the only piece of music that can make me cry

1 Like

Wrong type of long hair?

1 Like

Size on that bass guitar!

1 Like
2 Likes

Needs more Motörhead.

Which I now associate with the descent into madness in:

2 Likes
3 Likes

Rite of Spring is a classic slapper :fist_left:

2 Likes

…with all due respect, but vivaldi was a punk, not a hippie…
don’t be fooled by the wigs…that was all just snobbery camouflage back then…
as always, brilliant mindset beats shady attitude…

1 Like

Varèse was serious

Long hair for long hair

Fuck you, Hitler!

My favourite Xenakis

No-one knew how to fuck a piano like Bartók

Almost forgot Ligeti

1 Like

Must be a generation after the 70s because ‘long hairs’ to my mum’s generation refers to hippies, hence why I thought this would be a thread about folk!

1 Like

Steely Dan were punks too!

Well, I heard it from my maternal Grandmother regarding my father, who became a lawyer after being stationed in Germany during the cold war and never had long hair. I guess my Grandmother was a part of the “greatest generation” she was certainly the greatest Grandmother I could ask for but I think regarded classical music as a snobbish pursuit.

1 Like

Here’s Jascha Heifetz as an old man, playing a bit of Bach on the telly (1971):

The piece (Violin Partita No. 2 in D Minor, BWV 1004: V. “Chaconne”) was written by J.S. Bach at the height of his creative powers, after arriving home from a big work trip to discover that his wife was dead, and had been for a month. She was fit and healthy when he left, so it came as quite a shock.

1 Like