Long hair music that slaps

A couple more.

Here’s a nice bit of Liszt:
Jorge Bolet - Un Sospiro: Allegro Affettuoso [Franz Liszt, Étude S. 144 No. 3]

And here’s some Scriabin, recorded to piano rolls by the composer himself, back in 1910. It’s a bit like discovering antiquated MIDI tracks:

I go through waves of listening to classical music. There’s a great radio station for it in Finland. I’ve tried a lot of stations from everywhere and it’s the best I’ve found:

Come to think of it, here’s a famous “tone poem” about a Finnish swan:
Jean Sibelius - Lemminkäinen In Tuonela [Philadelphia Orchestra, Leopold Stokowski, 1929]

Also, I think it’s worth noting that there are so many different versions of everything out there - recordings of different orchestras and conductors etc. - it can be worth trying out a few if you feel that something’s not slapping, but it could slap. I gravitate towards early 20th century recordings, myself.

1 Like

can’t go wrong with:

I went and saw some ballet at Lincoln Center last night “21st Century Choregraph” at Lincoln Center. One piece (the only one I liked) used compositions from Du Yun including this piece which was interesting and speaking of metal it had these metal guitar bits which wafted in. I thought they were prerecorded or something until I saw the guitarist in the pit :metal:t4:

Beautiful.

One of the few pieces of music that makes me well-up every time I listen to it.

The same happened to a student when I played it during a music lesson.

2 Likes

I’m glad I’m not alone here in loving that Max Richter piece. I always had this weird feeling of it too easily accessing my emotions. Listening now I once again feel my old friend the frisson stopping by with his best friend mysterious tears peaking in my windows.

1 Like

oh yah this guy had long hair, so his music is also Long Hair Music amiright?

And of course Sexy Sax Man

Check out Sibelius’ Second symphony.

Ligeti and 2001 - thus space Zarathustra gets the nods, but that music and that sequence couldn’t be more perfectly matched.

1 Like

I played Rite of Spring for my 7 month old son a few weeks ago, he was utterly transfixed.

1 Like

I went to see the National Ballet of Canada last night and really loved this piece by Ezio Basso.

1 Like
1 Like

She has actually very long hair. Click for acoustic low end dissonance and noise.