Looking for a powered USB hub

Hi all,

So I’m redoing my studio and the situation is as follows. I’m using a MacBook M1 and Ive been using an Anker USB-C dongle for a few months. It’s a great product and gets the job done but I often find myself plugging in studio things and then plugging them out because I need to leave the studio.

So, I decided to get a proper USB hub. Preferably one that takes USB-C and lets you disconnect and connect the cable in the hub, so not fixed. This will enable me to use a longer usb C cable from my desk to the hub. Furthermore, a few couple of usb 3 inputs would be enough I guess. Oh, and I want it to be powered so it doesn’t drain my laptops battery, maybe even charges it?

Let me know what you’re using. I’m in EU

Thanks!!

I have a Caldigit Thunderbolt 4. It’s great, with 4 Thunderbolt ports and 4 USB. I had an OWC hub and the Thunderbolt connector was faulty so it put me off the brand, thou others may have had positive experiences. They are both meant to be up there in terms of the best options for hubs.

The Caldigit Thunderbolt 4 won’t charge your laptop (mine is a MacBook Pro 16” M1) so it might be worth checking their top level option…

1 Like

I have no recommendations, but would say be cautious. A couple of people here have had boards on synths (particularly from Sequential) fried using USB hubs. I contacted Sequential about it and this was their response:

Also, while I mention that they said that the Anker and Electron hubs tend to be most reliable. One of the people here that had this issue was using an Elektron hub.

1 Like

You will also need a USB C-> B 3.0 cable:

1 Like

Right now the only hub I use with my M1 Macbook is the one built into my new Dell Ultrasharp 27 monitor. Sucks that the connection ports are at the bottom of the monitor and face downwards, but it works seamlessly with the Macbook and charges it too. This hub has been fine with the MC-101 and Line 6 HX Stomp XL.

I did order a USB-C to USB-C cable though to connect the Scarlett 18i8 directly to the Macbook and a “printer cable” (USB-B to USB-C) to connect the MPC One to the Macbook too.

2 Likes

Unfortunately the usb hub is a problem for everyone: a computer generally has 2 usb plugs and obviously they are not enough, so we are forced to use hubs. It is necessary to understand which hubs can be trusted and which cannot.
Lately I’m also starting to worry about the fact that USB technology provides a maximum of 128 connections no more: quickly, with our devices, we will reach the maximum allowed and we will be in trouble

Can’t speak to issues with powered USB in general, but can confirm that the TS4 is great!
It’s definitely not cheap, but I love having one USB C for power / display / audio interface / midi hub / etc.
Works seamlessly and never hiccups when waking the computer from sleep mode or switching between devices like my 14” M1 or MacBook Air.

2 Likes

maybe i should try this. get a power supply for my rme babyface and but a long usb c to printer cable. then i’m set!

if i then need usb 2, hdmi or mirco as i can just use the anker dongle i have

looks great!! maybe for a future upgrade

1 Like

So i’ve been using my dongle from anker and it’s worked until now.

I noticed my multiclock is very picky when it comes to ports. midi to multiclock works great directly from my mac but loses noted and repeats note at random when plugged into my anker dongle

thinking about going the caldigit route, but it’s expensive! does is power you’re mac too
@Matmcr @Kushgremlin ? and do you think i can hook up my dongle to the caldigit for hdmi?

any alternatives to the caldigit?

Seems like it does power laptops

Yeah it powers my MacBook and passes through video, but you’ll need to use either usb c or display port. I’d assume a DisplayPort/UsbC to hdmi dongle would work but can’t confirm first hand.

It’s definitely expensive, and I don’t know if I would be able to justify it if it wasn’t for my business, but now that I have it I’d have a hard time going back.

1 Like

hmm, interesting. yeah i’d be looking at the element hub

yours is overkill for me

If you just want high speed usb3 check out the Sabrent options, there are a few variations. Also has its own wall wart so the USB ports can provide switchable power even when it’s not connected to your computer (great if you’re running hardware off usb power).

1 Like