Looking for outboard gear to add to my DAW setup

I have an Elektron based setup (Digitakt/Syntakt) that centers on individual tracks going in to Ableton via Overbridge, along with my Access Virus and Typhon. There’s a Focusrite Scarlett being used as well.

While this works well for me, I recently played with a friends Digitakt + Moog going through a Model 1.4 and it just sounded beautiful. I can only guess there’s some analog, hardware based magic happening that my tape and saturation plugins just can’t replicate.

With that in mind, is there a piece of outboard gear that could potentially give me some of that sound? Preferably while keeping my ability to multitrack? Analog Heat might be an easy integration, but it seems like more of a distortion unit. Maybe a compressor or something else? Would be curious to hear people’s thoughts.

If you want the Moog sound, you need to buy a Moog (or maybe the Behringer model D). Nothing else really sounds like their synths. I personally don’t think that the analog heat is the answer here.

1 Like

There was a kind of glue and saturation that was coming from running the Digitakt and synth in to the Model 1.4 - I’m very familiar with the Moog sound and own one myself, so that’s not really what was catching my ear.

On which monitors, in what kind of room? Are you used to his/her monitoring system? I just want to get certain things out of the equation. But, for sure, analog has something special.

Relatively well treated room with Rokits. I know there’s 1,000 factors other than “ANALOG WARM” such as sample selection, mood, and the song itself, but I’ve jammed over there before he got the Model and I can hear a difference, for sure. Would be curious to see if outboard gear could have similar effects.

1 Like

…u already mentioned a possible solution…

analog heat can add that smooth truu analog vibe to everything…from a single element, no matter how plastic cheap, to any sum of signals, even ur masterbus…

in plain and simple first cirquit, clean boost, it adds a glue, warmth and fadness to whatever u wanna send through like a big analog mixing desk…

not to mention all it’s other, way more drastic cirquits…and not to mentions all it’s truu analog multifilters u can activate or truu bypass at any given moment…

and sure, moogs ladder filter is adoreable…but i’d bet, u would’nt miss a thing, if use ah’s filter section instead, while it’s dead simple 2 band analog eq always adds it’s nice edge to the overall equasion…

said it many times here…will say it again…it’s the most underrated and most universal and timeless swedish device of them all…