Loopers

In fact I just found that you can offset at least by using the beatshift FX. From 32th to a whole bar ! That’s pretty cool !

Are you sure you can use it as an offset ? IIRC it’s a repetitive/cyclic shift fx.
If it suits you better, tant mieux !

It seems it just shifts your loop : https://youtu.be/HLwBlvdvNSQ?t=681

Dunno what you mean by cyclic/repetitive. To me I have the impression it permits to offset my loop from 32th to 1 bar. Maybe I’m mistaking ?

1 Like

Apparently, yes. I thought the shift was only for specific beats, following a pattern, like for the scatter fx.

Rc 505 mk2 owners:

I see that as of version 1.10, the following new feature was added:

• Input Thru—An assignable Input Thru function has been added to quickly mute or unmute the input signal while performing.

Could someone explain what this is? I can’t see it in the manual…

I see it as a way to mute / unmute input to line out routing (there is a menu option for this in the MKI). Not sure they updated the manual…

1 Like

Yes. I was hoping someone might have tried it. Being able to record a loop and then instantly mute the input would be very handy.

2 Likes

Roland recycles A LOT, so I suspect it’s the same functionality as the “external source” switch on their SP samplers: i.e. a simple through mute for anything plugged into the audio inputs…

Cheers!

1 Like

For those that play techno and use a looper, could you explain your workflow and/or share any videos?

1 Like

These two are pretty good examples/advocates for a looper in techno (Surgeon has an octatrack but uses it effectively as a looper). I really like the technique of using a synced looper to capture parts that you can mix in and out as required and slowly evolve the pattern, I think it works great for improvised techno sets. Depending on your use case the RC505 (esp the mark 2) is great for that and has loads of control and fx etc.

I also really enjoyed the ditto x4 and might get another. It is a really cool looper with 2 separate tracks, midi sync and ability to set a the ‘decay’ which allows loops to fade out over time so you can keep the pattern evolving. If you get the balance right you can get it so the pattern is gradually evolving and changing every 16 bars but only very subtly. Perfect for techno!

6 Likes

I’ve considered a lot of hardware solutions for this but decided to stick to Ableton + launch control XL. I have 3 channels (syntakt, digitakt, micromonsta2) and 3 loopers for each of these.

Then I use this max for live device to loop the audio. The benefit of this device compared to the ableton looper is that you can use the complex time stretch algorithm (whereas the ableton looper always uses the pitch shift algorithm). This means that your looped audio keeps its pitch when changing the tempo (which I often do during a transition).

This setup allows for easy DJ style transitioning between tracks. + You can add whatever FX racks in Ableton and use it as an instant mastering chain as well.

4 Likes

In the RC505, is it only possible to save what you record into one of the 99 ‘memory’ slots? I remember Blawan mentioning that he had been saving his loops for years, but that seems unlikely based on only 99 memory slots.

Well I, for one, would read that novel with fervent intrigue. I would buy you a beer or two for it too. Feel free to throw a link or two my way if you already wrote it. I’m your huckleberry.

2 Likes

Well, I’m pretty sure you can drag and drop everything to and from your computer. You can even load Ableton files onto it. Almost positive that you can back up your songs, clear it, and do 99 more. So, the 99 is just how many you can load at once (for a performance or something).

1 Like

Not sure if this was mentioned about the black box’s looper functions. I sold mine but combined with a simple pad midi controller you can have a 1 pad loop/start/erase which is nice. But the most interesting thing I found was that you can use the sequencer length to shorten recorded loops’ playback. I used it effectively to loop 3/5/7/9 step sequences for example.

Octatrack can obviously do the same. But bb + small pad controller is smaller and a bit easier in use.

2 Likes

is that feature non=destructive, like if you lengthen the sequence the truncated audio returns?

1 Like

Yeah. Record length is set specifically to something and those options are 1 bar, 2 bars etc. Then you can set the sequencer to play 3 steps and loop. So changing the sequence length to 500 bars will just have the original loop length loop forever basically :slight_smile:

I had it set up in such a way that each pad had a different sequence length. So on the spot I could decide to record to a different pad

1 Like

Sync issues were supposedly resolved as of the last update. I haven’t updated my loop station yet but videos seem to confirm this.

The onboard FX are pretty amazing. I mean, the variety, control, punch-in ability, and the sheer versatility of the FX make them especially fun. Boss has been on the effects game for a long time. These are not the silly DJ effects units of yesterday by any means. However, I’ve certainly heard better reverbs, better granular effects, and personally, I prefer wilder distortion options. All that said, I rarely actually need to reach for external effects when using the loop station. I sometimes choose to, but I am the type to get overly crazy with effects, so take that with a dash of Himalayan pink.

1 Like

Yep. 5 samples per memory (99). Each sample max theorical length is around 3h30mn (2GB file max, internal card limitation too) on RC505 MKI (16 bit). It is less (but long enough) on RC505 MKII, 32 bit).

RC505 MKI is much simpler.

1 Like

I’m waiting for ZOIA update before buying a new looper…

My favorite would still be the RC 505 MKII. Aeros looper is really interesting too, losts of updates since its release.

1 Like