Loopers

Same here, love the look of the 600, but the 505 has more versatility with an extra (simple) pedal for handsfree triggers.

Time will tell though as I’m moreso a guitarist but have learned from my forays into modern pedals in general that I prefer a table top and a footswitch rather than bending over a lot to make adjustments.

I really don’t like metal guitar pedal buttons. Noisy, tiny sweetspot and only happy under a well-soled shoe. Probably great for that rare stage playing individual, but I reckon 99% of users are home-based, in their socks.

1 Like

I used extensively a Boomerang looper and had to play barefeet all the time - stage included - cause the buttons are a bit too small. Still they are plastic squares and i guess it is doable with shoes but of course i took habit when practicing at home. Also they click a bit and the look of the buttons on the 600 remind the horrible loud-clicky-as-f*** switch on a pedal like the MicroPog. That noise alone is crossing any mix.
With faders or volume knobs and reasonable size for the buttons i’d go straight for the 600 just to avoid the anesthetic of the other one.

Yeah, i play mostly at home with socks. I already googled where I can get some knob caps locally. I have so many pedals that I need to get at least 20-30 of them. They’ll solve the problem for me. As for the ”clickyness”, I don’t really mind it as I mostly play with my headphones on and never record anything with mics.

Clickyness goes in general hand to hand with some weight/pressure you need to apply, a hassle for timing the loop.
That’s the problem when engineers design products they don’t use.

There are some super fancy metal button caps with a screw to tighten. Look good, but pricey.
Mooer do a plastic version which I got a couple of, but not great tbh.

I’ve converted a lot of my pedals to decent quality metal finger buttons instead. Work very nicely, particularly for pedals that also have knobs you want in hand’s reach, but can still be foot operated if needs be.

7 Likes

Congrats on this lovely looper! Have you tried its midi sync functionality yet? Is it stable/reliable thus far?

1 Like

Nope, not yet. I just finished my first session of just playing guitar through my SY-300 into the RC-600 and it’s amazing. I don’t much care for included rhythms that all loopers seem to have nowadays, but it’s great to have a click track to hear the tempo on top of seeing it.

Having six tracks and a bunch of effects makes this a fantastic sketchbook for writing down and trying ideas in the moment. Just tapping the guitar body with a plectrum, scratching the strings etc. to make a rhythm remind me of the early days when I used a Pioneer dj fx box’ delay on maximum feedback as a looper for my bassguitar. So much fun to be had with this thing.

1 Like

got a link to the metal ones?

pack of 5

3 Likes

Spent a couple of hours programming, then losing all my work as I didn’t realize the settings were not global but tied to the current memory. But now I have a very pretty RC-600 under the table with all the functionality and nine pedals and I can control the track levels, effects etc. from my midi keyboard which is on my table.

So I kinda did the opposite of what everyone else did. Bought the nice looking pedal and control it from my tabletop instead of buying the plasticky tabletop version and adding a pedal controller. Couldn’t be happier with this now.

The only thing that kinda annoys is that there’s only 16 assigns and they’re tied to the current memory, so after assigning 6 ccs to the volumes and 8 ccs to the fx on/offs I only had two left which I programmed to be all start/stop and master level. I’d prefer global assigns that would work in all memories and maybe 32 or 64 of them. That would be perfect. I could assign all the effect controls to my midi controller too.

2 Likes

Now you understand why people usually do the opposite :wink:

2 Likes

To be fair, the 505 MK2 does not have enough knobs for the fx controls either.

1 Like

I’ve read that EHX 1440 has been updated a few months ago, apparently improving the ext sync stability:

Anyone here owns this one? would like to hear some experiences with it

1 Like

I have it and it’s great. I run MIDI sync from a Keystep 37 through my Model:Samples and Monologue to the EHX 1440, and it’s rock solid.

3 Likes

For those with an RC-505 mk2, what is the quality like of the FX?
Also, I heard about sync problems with the mk1, how is the mk2 for this?

From what I understood, a few more fx for MKII, same quality, but a editable sequencer for some fx, which can be great !

No problem as master, but if slaved, the main problem is timestretch fluctuations. If you send only clock messages, it can be acceptable (for me).

I bought an RC500, which seems to have things in common RC505 MKII / RC600, same generation.

Seems to have less timestretch fluctuations.

There could have been a workaround disabling TEMPO SYNC, but it is worse : some tracks stop to play (tested on RC505 MKI and RC500).

Anybody would test slave with TEMPO SYNC off with RC505 MKII / RC600 ?
@Wolf-Rami ?

There should be a user setting memory you can recall on any memory.

Tip with Syntakt or any Elektron sending CCs and having trig conditions : I could sync my HX STOMP looper fx block, which has no clock sync :

Start / Stop an external looper recording with perfect timing, using a midi track :

• trig 1 (“Stop” CC message) : +1 microtiming, trig condition PRE
  • trig 2 (“Start” CC message) : -23 microtiming, trig condition 1ST

At first pass, trig 2 (1ST) is sent, and trig 1 (PRE) is sent at 2nd pass, as previous trig condition is true (1ST).

Their microtiming position is exactly the same. Both are played just once.

I don’t know if this can be used for other stuff, but that way my HX STOMP looper fx can be perfectly sync to the Syntakt.
(this looper fx can’t be sync with clock / transport).

1 Like

Hey guys, small question : is it possible to offset loops or trim them once they are recorded in the 505 ? Thx !

Not to my knowledge. AFAIK the only thing you can do is to change tempo. For instance is you set a 120 bpm recording to 240 bpm, it is played twice faster.