LYRA-8 Organismic Synth (for soundscapes, FXs, pads, complex textures)

Any thoughts on corner-case interesting sound design on Lyra 8?

I’m finding the most useful feature, is the delay feedback. Sound generation itself seems a bit so-so.

1 Like

I really like Lyra-8 overall but the delay feedback is absolutely bonkers. It doesn’t always sound good let alone musical (let’s forget predictable) to my ears but I’m actually surprised how often it sounds awesome when I think I’m just turning knobs on a whim most of the time.

It’s one of my favourite instruments right now, I’d like it to be making noise in the background in all of my jams! I think I’ll still love it a couple years from now but might look back on my 2019-2020 jams and go ”yep, the Lyra-8 honeymoon.”

Goal oriented sound design isn’t really a strength of the Lyra. I’ve found it is much easier to let it happen than to try and force it. So I’m just recording longer (jam) sessions and extract afterwards interesting pieces like shorter loops or longer pads.

Most of the time I use stems from the Lyra on the OT. I cut sessions roughly down to a-few-minutes pieces (much easier to handle on the OT) and build all kind of sounds from it.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve run violin and guitar into it. As others have reported, you will probably need a preamp unless your guitar has active pickups.

1 Like

What is “corner-case”?

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m not sure I found any corner cases in the Lyra yet, based on the Wiki entry you posted, because I don’t know what its “normal” operating parameters are. The whole synth seems to be deliberately designed to be abnormal, not normal.

1 Like

4 Likes

I’ve started GASing for a Lyra 8. For those that have one, how are you using it in your setup and how well does it play with other gear? I have an A4, AR and DFAM and I’m looking for something to make pads/drones.

I use it my techno stuff with a DFAM, bloody love it.

I also use it in a band, me on Lyra with a sampler playing feild recordings and loops of noise, other bloke on baritone sax.
How well does it play with other gear? It doesnt. You have to play it.

5 Likes

Thanks. With the techno stuff, are you jamming with it live or sampling it?

That’s not true in an absolute sense.

You can use the CV outs of the A4 with the HOLD GATE, CV VOICES and CV DELAY inputs on the Lyra. While it doesn’t give you standard V/Oct controls you still can remote control it somewhat. Especially the HOLD GATE I find useful for rhythms while you operate the rest of controls per hand.

2 Likes

Both. Though I find having my hands on the Lyra the most satisfying.

I completely jam with mine and record whatever comes out of it live. Haven’t got to sampling it yet, I’m just having too much fun playing it.

I have had mine for a couple of months now. I love exploring its sounds and playing with the delay. I still have problems using the LFO in a convincing way to modulate the voices, but I am progressing. Just keep in mind that its sound is quite unique and easily recognizable. It has own sound as an instrument and is not a versatile sound design tool, imho.

I completely disagree. Its an amazing sound design tool! It does Terror, Pain, Fear, Comfort, Woe, Bliss, Heat, Cold, Claustrophobia, Agoraphobia, Love, Hate, and more! It does crunch, sizzle, wobble, drone, soft gentle whispers, and speaker detroying sub rumbles.
It does camping trips in the mountains, long lost loves, monotonous jobs you hated at the time but for some reason wish you could return to, confusion, dissolution, resolve and revolt. it does surprise visits from friends you had forgotten about, and lonely nights wondering why, why why…

The texture and scope of the sounds may not make sense from a conventional western scales -this is bass that is melody this is harmony - kind of approach. But, from a pure sound level, Lyra is literally epic.

22 Likes

Well put. The sounds that you can get out of there are like from a different dimension sometimes and even my wife who is not into synths at all was enjoying playing with it.

5 Likes

Haha…epic…you should do Soma’s marketing :smiley:

5 Likes

I couldn’t be happier using it for pads, drones, and bass as well (actually, I would be happier if my pulsar would move up in the queue). If you like the way the instrument sounds in the demos, buy one.

This maybe has been asked before, but does anyone have any demos they can show where it isn’t so noisy?

I hear everywhere how it’s hard to tame. I’m in between a Lyra or the hydrasynth mostly for ambient/drone kind of stuff. And I love the fact that the Lyra can get more chaotic but is it not really capable of doing more subtle stuff.

Would even imagine just running it through a filter might tame it a bit. But any suggestions or feedback from Lyra owners would be appreciated :slight_smile: