LYRA-8 Organismic Synth (for soundscapes, FXs, pads, complex textures)

After reading this comment, I happened to come across this video, where he demonstrates tuning and playing it to a scale:

So I thought I’d try it out. I tuned the Lyra to D minor scale (got the notes off the internets), and played a few chords. Don’t ask me which chords these are, I just played combinations of notes that sounded nice to me.

Recorded in Logic with a bit of Valhalla VintageVerb.

4 Likes

My latest Lyra vibe, with some CV sequencing by Zoia and reverb from Ventris:

Bit of a different video this time though: I had to sort out some new portraits / promo pics for a commission, so I took a series of 3 photos and then decided to use them to build this clip, as a bit of fun to launch my new website! It’s only a minute long and the visuals rapidly speed up towards the end.

7 Likes

Nice one! Nice photos too.

I didn’t get much time last time I tried sequencing with the ZOIA. Did you need a TRS cable? I can’t remember what I had problems with… out of CV on ZOIA and into Voice on The Lyra? Would be great to hear more about your process and ZOIA patch!

1 Like

Thanks, glad you liked it!

Hold on, I think I have a photo somewhere…

I use one of these coming out of the Zoia - because of how the CV out is wired on Zoia, it’s the ‘Right’ of my adapter that works for Lyra. I’ve used that for both voices and delay modulation on the Lyra.

Beyond that, dialling in the CV values on Zoia takes some time, as the Lyra doesn’t produce predictable responses!

1 Like

This is all starting to ring a bell!! That splitter was needed and it took me ages to work that out. So normal TS cable into the splitter into ZOIA.

Thanks so much! I’m snowed under at the moment and really wanted to get back to trying this but couldn’t face it lol. This is a great help.

1 Like

No worries, happy to be of help! :raised_hands:

1 Like

Made me laugh. Reminded me of this track

2 Likes

How to summarize Lyra-8 in one sentence?

Lyra-8 is more like whales and aliens getting together for a party at a nuclear reactor where if you try hard you might get a word in.

source: Loopop

7 Likes

I did a longer form audio-visual project. Thought it might be worth posting here, as there’s lot’s of Lyra 8 in it - it really was integral to the whole piece. I used it for:

• the big block chords in the first section
  • the screaming alarms in the second section
  • the chord progression in the second and third sections (recorded to tape and slowed down to about 35% speed)
  • a huge array of sound effects and details throughout (it was particularly amazing using it for this, creating so many awesome sounds largely just by playing with the delay section)
  • it also features in some of the video clips, with archive footage or video synthesis projected onto it and also overlaid at some points

I hope you enjoy, let me know what you think!

9 Likes

Awesome.

1 Like

I had this song in my head for a while and thought i’d try to play it on the lovely Lyra-8. In the end it drifts off in some brutal chaos. Inspired by Jimi Hendrix.

5 Likes

Thanks for this. I’ve been seeking, and would love to hear more of the more gentle ambient side of Lyra. Think I just have to get one here to investigate. It seems like a great option to mangle drums through as well.

1 Like

Hey, no worries @chris.d ! Check out my YouTube or Insta - I’ve got some more clips there and I have a few more examples coming up that you’ll like :raised_hands:

1 Like

Been playing with Lyra today. This thing breaks my heart like no other piece of gear I’ve ever used.
Reason being, it’s build is really so nice & design, so damn beautiful.
But, I can’t see getting enough use out of it to justify keeping it. There’s some sublime sounds to be had but so hard to wrangle into a track.

That said, I understand if you’re into a very industrial, dark or ambient specific thing it might be uniquely great. Or, if you’re scoring music for dark films / shows.
Or, heck if it just makes you happy to tweak!

I’ll digest it further this week but? For most music styles I work with it might collect too much dust. Albeit looking beautiful as it would.

1 Like

What styles are you trying to fit it into?

Guess you’d call it indie something. I have a hard time describing but kinda more mellow stuff mostly. The Lyra quickly gets into sinister territory. Kinda too much contrast in that direction so far with it. I hoped some more pleasant ethereal was possible and it might be, not totally sure yet. …gonna try to live with it for a week or so but, she is an uncontrollable mistress.

Also hoped it could be good for running drums etc into it but, so far can’t get it as nuts as I’d like when the external input is only going through the delay & limited saturation stage.

Trying to make Lyra fit into anything is destined to fail.
If you try to fit along with Lyra, then its easy.

Forget everything you thought you knew about music. Lyra is a sublime yet chaotic instrument.

I do get that and it’s a valid point.

For me, It’s all about if it could work in context with existing tracks / songs. I might not be using it on it’s own as much but ?

For example, what happening here @ 15:55 - 6:15 -ish could possible sound great contrasted against a pretty chord structure thing. (piano or gt etc)

At least that was one of the reasons I wanted to check her out. I should just reserve judgment till I’ve had a week w it.

To be fair you’ve had it how long?
Its a new intstrument. You have to learn how to play it.
I wouldnt expect to pick up a violin and start writing music with it straight away. Id want at least a few years to learn it.

I bought mine because I was convinced it would work with the band’s music as well as my own stuff.

If I’m not at least 80% sure the gear will work for me needs, I pass on it.

I’ve passed on lots of other devices that sounded kinda interesting but didn’t pass the “can I use it with my music or the bands music?” test. Of course the test has to be more of a thought experiment for me, because I really don’t like having to go on multiple trips to the post office or UPS/FedEx to ship out gear that didn’t work out. Even if I had the money to buy everything in existence then just ship out what doesn’t work out for us, I would still consider it a pain in the butt to have to package all that unwanted gear then take it to be shipped out.