LYRA-8 Organismic Synth (for soundscapes, FXs, pads, complex textures)

That’s pretty good actually, keen to give it a proper listen on real speakers. Will do later. Nice stuff.

1 Like

Please keep sharing things on here folks.
I’m really interested to hear where people go with it.

After swimming around the ambient waters, I’ve recently taken to just plugging in and having a twist-fest to see what new frontiers can be found amongst the circuits. I think I was somewhat inspired by seeing a very short video of Vlad performing with it on his lap. I had the impression his understanding of the machine allowed him to go directly to the places of his choosing.

One thing I’ve noticed since getting the Lyra is that I’ve been finding the environment of step-sequencing and hopping around menus to be a bit of a creative drain. That’s been my interpretation anyway. I’m wondering if Lyra is pushing me into a new paradigm where I just want to play as directly as possible…but I don’t want to go fully into modular territory!

Maybe a semi-modular might be next, though my GAS isn’t fully firing just yet.

1 Like

Here you go then.

Just Lyra, with the tiniest bit of Quadraverb on a send.

3 Likes

Hell yeah!

That was like having my brain combed.

3 Likes

Cool. My next experiment is going to be sending cv from Field Kit FX to Lyra 8. I also have a little homemade 4 step cv sequencer and op-z sends cv too. I’ll post here as soon as I get it straight. Keep 'em coming.

2 Likes

i had to duckduckgo “Brain Comb” to see if it was a band already.

I found this weird website as a result:

https://braincomb.com/

1 Like

he he…that’s ace.

Looks like the band name is up for grabs :slight_smile:

1 Like

Allright, I’m getting ready to buy one of these crazy things. I don’t see a lot of used market for them? People are holding on to them? Do they have a go resale value?

I think the best deal is at perfect circuit store for US/CAN purchase - anyone found a better deal somewhere else?

It’s one of the VERY few things I don’t worry about not using much, as I know when I do, nothing else comes close. I’m normally a nightmare with any gear that’s sitting unused for a while. The Lyra just sits there and I’m cool with that.

3 Likes

Question about the Lyra. The YouTube vids are mesmarizing. I read that it’s actually not syncable with Midi. Is it useful in a dawless setup as a soundscape creator or is the unsyncability something that hinders that?

It doesn’t have a sequencer, so there is nothing really to sync.

It’s an instrument that you play by hand.

2 Likes

Don’t know of too many soundscape creators who rely on syncing to create soundscapes.

Most people I know why try to make soundscapes go for floating clouds of ambience that are not slaved to each other in any way.

When I try to make soundscapes, I usually end disabling (by some method another) sync on gear like Octatrack.

1 Like

There are ways of sort of sequencing it (either via CV, which is a bit hit and miss, or forking out for the ornament thingy from Soma) but, at least for me, it feels better when you just play it.

I actually feel like the lack of midi is one of its plus points, because it encourages you to treat it like an instrument.

1 Like

No midi, only cv. In fact that’s the point of Lyra-8 :slight_smile: But here I used the Machinedrum’s GND-SN machine to send a signal into the input CV Voices of Lyra and it simply replaces the LFO and TOTAL FB. I haven’t tried the other inputs yet.

5 Likes

I’ve tinkered with “faking” rhythmic gates or patterns using the OT. If I recall right I turned the volume all the way down in the amp page and then used exponential envelopes on triggers as a vca/gate type of situation. Worked out pretty well in the little bit I’ve done.

1 Like

okay yeah exactly! thanks. Ive seen a few Techno vids with the lyra taking care of the soundscape. seems So cool but was wondering how it was being put to use in actual jams!

I think the way I use Lyra most is for background texture. I think it’s in about 90% of the tracks I’ve made in the last year or so, but you might not even notice it in a lot of them. Just getting it to drone and messing about with the modulations for a minute always brings out something I can throw into a track and instantly add a bit of depth, right up to taking over and destroying a track. I record all my tracks live and I think the Lyra lends itself really well to this way of doing things, at least once you’ve mastered the art of not flicking the wrong switch and releasing the swarm of disgruntled wasps hidden inside it all over your dub techno jam.

5 Likes

You can sequence it with the Soma Ornament and the Lyra adapter, though it’s not a conventional sequencer by any means

1 Like

Biggest Lyra-8 emulator ever.

5 Likes

Do you still have the Lyra 4? Any sound examples? Cheers

1 Like