LYRA-8 Organismic Synth (for soundscapes, FXs, pads, complex textures)

It’ll sound like all the Lyra 8s… Just half as many notes!

3 Likes

Any reverb pedal recommendations or will any old reverb pedal do?

It means half as many modulations as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

I haven’t heard any reverb make this thing sound bad

2 Likes

Although Fin25’s repeated promotion of the Quadraverb makes me think maybe that has some special sauce for Lyra-8

1 Like

Ive been thinking that maybe two lyra4’s would have been actually better than a lyra8, as you’d get two outputs. Treat them as a stereo lyra8. Do they have the delay and everything same as the lyra8, just 4 voices?

I’ve run Lyra through the following:

Quadraverb (obvs)
Digitech Polara pedal
All the reverbs on my OT (sounds like shit, obvs)
Digitone reverb
Collision Devices Black Hole Symmetry Pedal
Kaoss Pad 2
An actual spring reverb
Some cheap lexicon reverbs on my mixer

I can confirm it sounded great through all of them, but the best are the Quadraverb (for massive hellscaping), Polara (for versatility) and the OT (for convenience and p-locking).

Special mention goes to using a spring reverb with the Lyra. It doesn’t have to be a real one, the one on the OT sounds excellent, but there’s something really fucking nice and industrial and satisfying about it.

5 Likes

They’re pretty much the same, but you’d lose a layer of the FM structure.

1 Like

Basically yes.

Ive tried quadraverb (god mode) various VSTs in ableton (all fine) Boss Digital reverb pedal (very nice) OT reverb ( Dark reverb with loads of HP filter sounds lush)

Best for me is OT flanger then dark reverb. LFOs everywhere modulating FX. Throw that into a filtered delay with infinite decay for interdimensional destruction.

2 Likes

You would also loose the feedback circuitry between all 8 voices, plus the FM as mentioned. Personally the feedback and FM is the best thing about Lyra.

2 Likes

I’ll have to record some examples but yeah, it sounds just like the Lyra 8. It’s easier to figure out what’s going on without have the two sides of the 8 intermodulating (is that a word?) each other. Plus it’s cool that it was Soma’s first mass-produced synth, albeit for a pretty small run.

Like @Fin25 I enjoy running it through older Alesis reverbs and just got a Quadraverb GT again, which should be a perfect pairing.

2 Likes

I use the Empress Reverb pedal with it. I love it although my tastes are simple.

Very happy to tell I have joined the lyra8 - DFAM- quadraverb club.

3 Likes

Knas Ekdahl Moisturiser for the aesthetic win.

2 Likes

Do you happen to have that image saved anywhere? I can’t seem to find the presets. Haven’t got mine yet but was hoping to have an idea before it arrives…

They’re here:
https://somasynths.com/lyra8_specs/

Look for “Presets”

2 Likes

Thanks - had seen that but was having trouble with the link at first. Turns out my computer is just painfully slow :slight_smile:

Watchmen scores and waves score, the most recent ghosts albums from NIN. Trent wrote to Soma to say how much he loved it and how they keep it their permanently in 2019. I hear a lot of what sounds like the lyra on these releases and judging from what he wrote i expect it could be all over these.

1 Like

Watchmen the Tv show? What’s waves, is it a tv show as well? Old NIN I know and like but haven’t checked anything out since With Teeth I think. So Ghosts V and VI?

1 Like

Watchmen tv show and Waves is a film. Ghosts V and VI indeed, together and Locusts I believe.

Not since With Teeth? Oh you’ve missed out on a lot of goodness!

1 Like