LYRA-8 Organismic Synth (for soundscapes, FXs, pads, complex textures)

@Castor – I really don’t think anyone is buying a Lyra expecting to play it like a normal keyboard synth :unamused:

1 Like

Well i hope not! Some are still desperately trying tho
Check out yt for more details

1 Like

Yes, it can play melodies but so poorly that I didn’t consider it as a ‘that kind of synth’ at all.

That’s fine, you’re welcome to your opinion. However saying it’s not capable of a thing it very well is capable of is just false. For example if you tune the oscillators with a specific melody in mind, you can play that melody and make use of the effects and chaotic nature of it and get very cool results that would be very hard or impossible to recreate on a traditional analog synthesizer. Just because it doesn’t have 61 keys doesn’t mean it’s useless for melodic passages.

2 Likes

As ive said, it can play tunes but is unexpressive! Tuning oscillators beforehand totally undermines its purpose, especially when the voices are constantly detuned, and even when you tune them with a tuner they change tuning what ever else you touch, and sometimes more than full notes! So if you want ti make cripple tunes that detune all the time, and if you don’t need spontaneity and complexity regarding melodies = buy Lyra!

It’s purpose is to produce sound. However you use it is using it to its purpose. It’s a special device, no question about it. It’s not a traditional analog synthesizer, that’s not what I’m claiming. However it’s not only a noise machine or a drone synth either, as there are plenty of the kind of synths around where you really only have control over oscillator frequency and maybe LFO’s affecting something. It’s a left field synthesizer but one where you have a lot of control over it’s chaotic nature, and it’s plenty capable of producing melodic lines, chords or in-tune pads if you so wish. It’s probably not as “good” or versatile at those as some other synths, but it’s not like people feel the need to go the DFAM thread to tell everyone that DFAM isn’t the best option if you need to play Mozart.

2 Likes

I tried playing Mozart on my Octatrack.

Sounded like shit.

7 Likes

It’s the converters…

7 Likes

Im glad everyone agrees that Lyra is a bad idea for playing melodies!

amadeus_01

1 Like

Yes, just be sure that you don’t have too many notes () and you’ll be fine!

It makes sense that Lyra makes unexpressive tunes and i explained why i think that! I mean, try it out and you’ll see and hear it yourself!

My buddy just played melodies on my lyra the other day, he has near perfect pitch so he kinda microtuned the oscillators and made some excellent, eerie twin peaks melodies. It sounded great.

1 Like

Civil and on-topic for the win; everyone wins that way …

https://www.elektronauts.com/guidelines

ps : try not to police a thread yourself, it generally never ends well, it usually escalates, that’s what the flags are for

7 Likes

Nice!

Dude, keep playing melodies and harmonies on your Lyra all want!

1 Like

Lyra is back home. bypassed the switch for now, but Soma are sending a new switch out FOC :smiley:

Anyone want to sell me a decksaver, let me know (the nice one with the SOMA logo, not the ugly one they now do). I think the Lyra has made its point and wants to stay here.

6 Likes

I almost replied to the original photo to say rip out the two leads and try hotwiring it, but then I had a vision of someone trying it and dying, so I thought it would be better to create an anonymous account for that kind of thing.

3 Likes

If any bit of gear will kill me, it’s got to be a Lyra. Deaths soundtrack already playing…… touch pads…. A “Christine” style of coming back into my life (though it didn’t mend itself unfortunately) Organismic synthesis suddenly makes sense…

3 Likes

A small collection of solo Lyra (+ fx) recordings.

I don’t think I posted this here yet (a cursory scroll up says I didn’t), though I did add some soundcloud links along the way.

It was good to gather them into a little clutch anyway, and I like Bandcamp better :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Thanks man, I was just wondering what to listen to.

Very nice, shoegazey feel. Definitely not just noise or chaotic ambient, gorgeous slow melodies and pads. Very proficient use of the Lyra in a musical context, not just for textures or backround noise. Maybe a bit rough around the edges, are these live takes? Either way, very enjoyable release! Hope you make more Lyra-only works.

1 Like