LYRA-8 Organismic Synth (for soundscapes, FXs, pads, complex textures)

I still think the white one is the best. But that mint green one, sure is pretty.

1 Like

Let’s share my first recording after one week exploring. Overdubbed in 3 takes. All lyra with some chorus, panning and reverb added.

5 Likes

Another one of these Lyra videos nobody wants to see here (with difect link to the Lyra part). But it does give you closure as to why Christian Henson bought those EIGHT Lyra-8s. I still think it makes no fucking sense to sample those like that but… :smiley:

Actually I heard a Lyra liveset last weekend through actual speakers for the first time and it was immense. (Will ask my mate if it’s ok I share it here.) So in that sense I can see hearing eight Lyras through 56 amps in an awesome space might be breathtaking. The sampling part makes even less sense now…

3 Likes

Is “multi-disciplinary artist” the middle class version of unemployed?

9 Likes

Between jobs? Maybe.

Anyway, here’s some way better Lyra material. A friend of mine playing live with a Fostex four-track and a Lyra. The tape loop he used consisted of Lyra stuff only as well. He also had a HoF2 reverb in there (send fx on the mixer).

5 Likes

Looks like the Lyra & Blofeld use a nearly identical power supply.

Some more observations:

• Yes, headphones output is noisy, but not in a bad way. Not like the headphone out on my Soundcraft Notepad, which makes headphones nearly useless. The Lyra’s headphone noise makes sense with the instrument and may even be desirable.

• Korg NTS-1 with just the built in Space algorithm is great. Submarine is nice too. Hammondeggs Cathedral is OK, but better for less noisy sources.

• I’m just running a 1/8” TRS cable from the Lyra’s headphones out to the NTS-1 and then I plug my headphones into the NTS. Sounds good, although I had to boost the Lyra’s output by turning the knob from 12:00 to about 2:30.

• As I’m updating this post, I’m listening to a “static” patch and can hear it evolving ever so slowly. Wow, just wow. Exactly what I wanted, expected and received.

How to disable sleep on the NTS-1:

2 Likes

Blue ones for sale now and in stock BTW :wink:

4 Likes

Love it. Did you “film” the video footage too?

Blue looks pretty rad. I still love my pink one but sometimes wish I had gone for green.

this is rad! thanks for sharing.

Indeed. With lyra sound in the back of my mind i started filming with my phone when i left the house.

1 Like

Hurrah!
New Lyra recordings ftw.
Digging into these in-between-(domestic)-jobs :man_factory_worker:

Loving the mix of textures on this.

With the video I’m getting soundtrack to ‘Manhunt III’ vibes.

Edit: the second half took me into Tarkovsky land. Great stuff!

1 Like

Was he running the loop into the Lyra? This is great! I’m always way more impressed by minimal set ups like this then mountains of cables and gear. My live setup is tape loop>lyra>OT and it couldn’t be better for me rn

1 Like

I believe the loop was going straight into the mixer and then he had the HoF2 reverb as a send for the Lyra. No other send/fx or Lyra witchcraft, if I’m not mistaken.

Chase Bliss Mood into a reverb has become one of my favourite Lyra routings. Particularly using the tape setting on the Mood, though it’s easy to overdo and I should switch it out for something else sometime.

Beautiful!

I would have liked to have been there in person.

How was he using the 4 track?
For live tape looping?

1 Like

He had a pre-prepared tape loop with Lyra materials he had done on the four-track. Pretty effective use of a fairly short loop (I think about 20-25 secs) to my ears at least.

1 Like

While we’re in Lyra territory.

Just edited a few recordings I had been meaning to come back to for ages.

Here’s a wee number I recorded with Lyra and The Moogs (now there’s a band name!)

One of the rare times I’ve encouraged her to playing nicely with others.

https://soundcloud.com/daveblakemore/vista

1 Like

For the 1K post, I’ll just leave this here:

Richard Devine custom :star_struck:

13 Likes