M:C obsolete now there's ST?

It’s not like it requires further updates or support from Elektron to run. It makes sound like it’s supposed to right? How could it become obsolete?

1 Like

Syntakt also doesn’t have swing per track, latched retrig and assignable midi out per track. The M:C is its own beast and I respect it :blush:

1 Like

this is interesting, I would think the Syntakt would receive this feature in the future because if the only reason it doesn’t have the feature is because the cycles does then that would be very poor reasoning in my opinion. If in your development you come to the realization that swing per track is a useful feature that would be commonly used in the same vein as swing itself, then you might realize that at that point you’re blurring the lines between a feature and a standard feature. I don’t think you should go back after you’ve crossed that threshold.

I doubt it will get this feature Digitakt and Digitone also do not have jt

I also think in a product line you want to have unique features exclusive to 1 product

Yes, all good points

of course I understand the concept of differentiating within your product line, but swing per track is more of an evolutionary standard at this point imho, rather than a different flavor or quality of for example a reverb… or higher resolution time stretching that you make only available in your flagship etc…
I think of swing per track as how swing should be like how a low pass should low pass and a hi pass should hi pass, I sure hope they’ll reconsider.

2 Likes

I would love to see swing per track on the Syntakt and they have implemented a retrig function into the mod buttons, which is sort of like latched retrig but the M:C’s overdrive built in to the volume control is also unique. I think Elektron has 2 great products with the Syntakt and the M:C. I can see an upgrade path from the M:C to the Syntakt, however, if you get a Syntakt, I don’t see the necessity of a M:C.

Either way, you get a great machine.

3 Likes

like I say I’m hopeful that they didn’t leave it out for that reason, because they’ve made these kind of common sense improvements in the past, look at the chance feature on the model series, they put that in the digitakt in a later update.
I think if you have a swing feature, per track is preferable across the board as it’s a growing standard imo

2 Likes

I also hope they add it.

… to begin with, even the SY BITS machine on the Syntakt is able to makes huge bassdrums which are not possible on the M:C. The Syntakt can just do everything.

1 Like

But it is the hands control of the MC the winning point here

When i had Syntakt I did not have the same creative and fun experience I have with the MC

1 Like

I don’t get why people compare the two :wink:

Edit: I own the Syntakt and owned the Model:Cycles in the past, and knowing both devices “I don’t get why people compare the two”, because they are so different. Even if some things have the same name, they aren’t.

3 Likes

That’s pretty obvious: because all the machine models of MC are available on the ST.

But of course the ST has a lot more to offer. Just the fact that it has 2 filters per digital track makes it a lot more powerful.

I still like my MC, it’s a great tool for jams.

What I get is that people see similarities or similar words and think it must be the same, even though it isn’t. One could say, Elektron just did very bad marketing - or the media very bad reporting.

giphy

I just rewatched episode 4 of season 3 of Bojack Horseman, “Fish Out Of Water”, which largely takes place underwater without dialogue, and large swatches of the soundtrack could be done on a Model:Cycles.

They are 2 different instruments, with very different features and very different sound and very different control layout

1 Like

“Very different sound” is debatable. To my ears, the M:C and the ST sound very very similar. At least out of the box; some of the demos from the more skilled performers show that the ST has more range of course.

2 Likes

You can get very creative with the distortion and gain staging of volume vs distortion which you cannot do on the Syntakt

So yeah that is an example of different sound

2 Likes

Ok I’ve read this now in several threads and I don’t know what “latched” means in this context. Is someone here willing to explain?

There’s a function on the M:C where you can press the pad and the make the sound retrigger as long as you hold the pad. You can choose the speed as well: 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc. This is called latched retrig and is a function of the retrig facility on the M:C.

1 Like