Machinedrum and Footswitsches

Hello Elektronauts,

I’m a songwriter/composer writing live-looped music that’s a cross between Nine Inch Nails and Depeche Mode. I technically only need something to perform live finger drumming/step sequencing, but am really seeing the potential of using an Elektron device as a sequencing hub (my guitar pedals have MIDI implementation) and to get into some new sonic territtory and performance/compositional aspects I wouldn’t have otherwise discovered.

The one specific question I really need answered is this:

The DSI Tempest has footswitch inputs which I assume could be used to cycle through patterns on the floor while my hands are busy with the guitar. Is an arrangement like this possible with the Machinedrum?

Thanks so much

Here’s the extended post for anyone who might have the time/desire to answer:

I could have posted this on a third-party forum, but I’m leaning towards an Elektron purchase and want the inside scoop from people who love the machines. I’m obsessed with the website and am going to start reading the manuals of the Machinedrum and Octatrack soon as well.

I’m leaning toward a Machinedrum as it’s compact and synthesis offers more flexibility in sound (I’m assuming) than sampling (Octatrack vs. MPC, anyone?). Aside from throwing out a general question of “What does everyone think about the comparison of the four products mentioned here?” (and yes, please feel free to NOT waste your precious time giving me detailed responses if you don’t want to. I’m opening a rather LARGE Pandora’s Box with this post), What is everyone’s experience of the Machinedrum vs. Octatrack aside from the obvious difference in fundamental sound generation?.

A thousand thanks to you all for reading all this!

the MD doesn’t have footswitch inputs for analog footswitches.

MD has two mono audio inputs, which can be set up as trigger inputs for 2 internal tracks, so you can e.g. play a kickdrum with your foot. Not what you asked for though.

However, the MD has a very good MIDI implementation, so if you have MIDI footswitches you’re good to go.

Take a look at the MIDI appendix in the MD manual: Download (PDF)

There is no command for cycling between patterns though. You can select patterns, but there is no command to switch to the next/previous one. So for this, your footswitch/controller would need to provide the right logic.

Thanks sooo much Void!! That’s a huge help!

I’ll counter this by saying that the MD’s synthesis is certainly more specific as a drum machine, but I wouldn’t say it has more flexibility in sound. The OT could be said to have far more.

Consider this comparison: the MD can give you up to 16 MIDI tracks to OT’s eight; OT will give you 8 MIDI tracks PLUS 8 tracks of 16bit stereo playback of your song elements.

I’m not saying the OT is better - I’m loving the MD bigtime and am happy to have it as a dedicated drum machine. The Control tracks take it to another level. I’m doing MIDI sequencing with the OT - it’s more than enough for me.

sidenote: I’ve had an OT for two years, and an MD for a week. I sampled a full-on groove from the MD into the OT, twisted the hell out of it, then brought it up over an MD break pattern. Made me do a real happy dance…

Hi Bryan,

This is some more great insight as I’m embarking on this journey to slowly replace my Ableton Live laptop setup. The plan is to use the Eletron sequencers to sync my sets and to provide the percussion (and, I suppose, occasional playback). I’d like to generate all sounds live if possible, but that might not be an option. The Octatrack also has the ability to function as a quasi-live looper (and I hope Elektron will expand the functionality of the Pickup Machines with future updates) which is also a plus. Hmm…Perhaps a read through of both manuals is necessary now.