Machinedrum as effects box

anyone do this? if so, can you explain your setup? i may be interested in trying something like this out after watching this john tejada interview:

i just have no idea what he is talking about. so if anyone does this and can explain their setup, then that would be awesome to give me some ideas. thanks!

5 Likes

I’ll have to check that out!

It sounds like he’s live resampling and using the track effects for what comes in?

1 Like

Yes, or INP machines.

1 Like

are you sure INP machines?

i thought it might have been RAM Record / RAM Play machines (these are mono aren’t they?), and then effecting the RAM Play machine using the master effects?

correct me if i am wrong as i have never used INP or RAM machines before.

1 Like

You need input machines to sample the incoming audio.

Not quite.

INP machines can be used to apply gate, filter, or envelope to incoming audio in real-time. The sound is then passed through the track effects and can be sent to the master effects.

RAM RECORD machines can sample audio from the inputs or resample the MD itself. RAM PLAY machines can then play the samples back through the effects.

1 Like

hmm. sounds like i need 4 machines for this, correct? so lets say i do this:

1. setup INP-GA/B machines to get the external audio (assume from Octatrack).

2. setup a RAM Record machine to monitor the external inputs (MLEV -64, ILEV 0, LEN 127 for 2 bars, RATE 127 for best quality).

3. setup RAM Play machine

4. trig on 1st step of RAM Record machine to sample 2 bars. delete trig after sequencer moves over this trig.

5. move over to RAM Play machine and place trigs as desired, use master effects as desired.

is this correct as i understand it?

For step 4 you can just mute the track.

1 Like

Not really, you just need two machines. The RAM record and play machines.

What’s cool is you can use multiple RAM-P machines with one single RAM-R.

Also worth noting that a RAM-R machine can in theory be used as an input machine itself.

There are some glitches re: input machines and func+extended though where you have to retrigger the machine to get the parameters to reset.

3 Likes

No.

If you want to sample from the external input and replay the samples, you don’t need step 1.

If you speak Octatrack, then the MD’s INP machines are like the OT’s Thru machines, the MD’s RAM RECORD machines are like the OT’s Track Recorders, and the RAM PLAY machines are like the OT’s Flex machines.

8 Likes