Machinedrum - Freestyle record-mode questions

I’ve finally been diving a bit more into my MD now (SPS MKI - the 32-step non-UW one), including free-record mode and trying out parameter locks, but found a few issues recording sequences this way.

My main gripe is that as there are no flashing steps or beats to indicate where in the sequence you are adding a beat, which means it’s hard to see where in the sequence you are. This means the sequence doesn’t always “flow” front-to-back when it repeats. Whereas, when you use strict step-sequencing, it’s possible to see how all kicks, snares etc should be spaced evenly across the sequence. Hopefully, this makes sense.

The reason I raise this, is that p-locks only seem to work in extended free-record mode. It would be great to add p-locks to beats that have been sequenced in grid-mode, not free mode. Unless the trick is to regiment certain elements (like a kick) and to freestyle other p-locked drums around this.

Also, does anyone know how to adjust the MD’s quantization on free-record mode? The MD seems to automatically quantize, which partly defeats the point of having a free record function, doesn’t it? Not complaining too much (as it’s great having both methods), but it would allow greater creative possibilities to adjust quantization. Changing the scale to 32 steps at x2 speed might be a workaround to create finer control over each step, but quantization would be nice.

You can use a track to create a metronome, to help keep track of you location.

No microtiming, always quantized. That is just the way it is.

In step mode, just hold down the step and add your p-locks.

Kind regards

Thomas

1 Like

OK, thanks. I wondered if I’d overlooked a feature or something. Maybe I’d been accidentally trying p-locks in Classic Mode instead of Extended Mode, so I’ll try that again.

also explore the Swing settings, which can be per track and provide movement to your patterns.

I just got the Machinedrum a few months back and have been using it lately but am having similar issues with no metronome. Honesty just a kick on the first hit is probably enough, or a hat on as many as you need.

As for the plocks, don’t forget the slide function. I hardly ever used it on any other Elektron but I’ve been reaching for it a lot with the MD, between that, regular plocks and the LFOs you should have enough modulation.

As @waftlord said, you can create a custom swing pattern per track (just has to be the same amount of swing), I use that to create micro-timing-like effects and offbeat stuff. You can probably add just a little bit and adjust the pattern on each track to do what you want.

Yeah, slides are the next thing for me to try. I had a short go, but couldn’t get them to work for some reason.

In terms of microtiming, I’ve been messing around with bumping up the scale-length to 32-beats (I don’t have 64) at double speed (so the sequence is the same length, but has twice as many steps). This offers more microtiming possibilities with beats (but shorter scales) so might need a bit of forethought in terms of chaining separate patterns together.

More variations via triplets changing length scale from 32 to 24 and song mode is your friend for extra groove technology