MachineDrum Just Fell From Space... (and Landed in my Studio!)

I could resist no longer once I saw that Elektron had a 15% Off sale - Just received my SPS-1 UW+ MKII - It’s a beauty and sounds awesome right outta the box!

So I have to fire off a question…

I will be using the MD in two different work flows (initially) and am wondering what’s the best way to sync everything up.

I will be using the MD synced with my A4 (standalone no computer) - which is better to be the master here? Should I sync the MD to the A4 orr the other way around?

Secondly, and this may be the deciding factor, I have also been syncing the A4 with Ableton as master (via midi)… It’s been working pretty well but I am wondering should I be syncing the MD to Ableton (via midi) and then the A4 to the MD?

!!! Thanks Much and Here’s to the Sonic Explorations of the Future !!!

I did some tests once upon a time and MD clock has a little more jitter than OT clock. Assuming the modern clock has made it into the A4, then I would say A4 will be the better clock and therefore the master.

However MD has some MIDI machines to mess with your A4 patterns so for creativity you may want to have MD master. And if Ableton is master of MD, jitter may not be an issue so again you may want MD as master.

As veets suggests, the A4 will provide a more stable & accurate clock. Nothing to stop you disabling midi thru & using the MD midi machines to drive the A4 if you desire.

Same with Ableton, I doubt very much that your computer will compete with the A4.

A lot of interesting stuff to read here
http://www.innerclocksystems.com/ICS%20home.html

veets and bluewolfse7en: Thanks much for the suggestion of keeping the A4 as the master - it is working like a charm. I am yet to experiment with the midi machines as I am still trying to get up to speed with the basics though having cut my ElektronWorkFlowTeeth on the A4 has def helped with the fundamentals.

Going to experiment with on the fly sampling into the MD this weekend - can’t wait!!!

Thanks Again - Elektronauts is a great community!