Machinedrum+MPD-midiimplementation

Is it possible to trigger Track 1-16 with the 16 pads of a MPD like in a drumrack in ableton? so i can play drumpatterns on the MPD triggering all 16 sounds in my current kit? are the 16voices of the MD “velocitysensitive” ?
and if yes, is it possible to record what i played and quantise it?
how is it done? :slight_smile:
i didnt found something about this. hope to find help.
thanks!

I recommend that you read pages 39 to 40 of the MD manual (for Live Recording), page B-1 (for default MIDI note mappings), and pages 58 to 60 (for other MIDI settings).

Does the MPD send MIDI note messages from its pads?

Yes you can. :smiley:

One limitation: what you play on the pads responds to velocities but not live recording mode. The MD doesn’t external automations, which can also be an advantage because you don’t have to leave live recording mode when doing a build-up with all the parameters which you don’t want to be stored in p-locks.

Btw: if you have an OT, you can sequence the MD via Midi tracks to record velocities and more.

1 Like

My Machinedrum arrives today.
now im getting even more excited :slight_smile:
Thanks guys!

btw: i own a OT indeed :smiley: so tell me more mate! OT arrived 2 weeks ago. so still a lot to learn

It might seem strange, but for live drumming with a MPD controller in an OT+MD setup I really recommend that you trig the MD via the OT’s Midi tracks!

OT Midi out --> MD Midi in, transport (play/stop) receive disabled on the MD, about 4 Midi tracks on the OT set up to send note data to the MD.

Advantages of using the OT sequencer to trig the MD :

• velocity sensitivity
  • having several layers of rhythms available within one pattern (for instance a straight clap+hihat+ride rhythm on the second Midi track, a shuffled version on the third Midi track)
  • voice stealing! sounds negative, but is very useful, if not the most useful part of this setup! stay in one Midi track, keep live recording on all the time, drum in a nice groove on the toms, add claps to the 2 and 4 (which removes toms at the 2 and 4), enter a open hihat offbeat (which removes toms in the offbeat), let it go let it go … , drum in a nice cowbell/rimshot groove (which removes everything else currently going on at these positions), great :slight_smile:

Of course, you can also combine this sequencing via OT with the MD sequencer. For instance, just press play with a different tempo setting (not synced) to combine straight rhythms coming from the OT Midi cable with some “random” or however-to-be-called trigs inside the MD.

i thought the MD is velocity sensitive if the pads of the mpd send it out?

As I said above, the MD reacts to velocities, but does not store them in the sequencer, just try it out. Live drumming: velocity sensitive, live recording mode: does not save velocities, recording on the OT’s Midi tracks: velocity sensitive, recording on the OT’s audio tracks: not.