MachineDrum vs Xbase888

This is not very good input in my opinion…
First of all, the Jomox gets a bad wrap way too often. The OS is a bit different but it’s certainly not cryptic or bad in any way. I own a Jomox 999 (just bought it brand new a month ago) and it took me a week or two to learn and anticipate the idiosyncrasies of the OS. Once you understand its character it actually makes perfectly fine sense.
NOTHING matches the sound of a 999 unless you go for a vintage 909, 808 or whatever. Jomox is a beast and has a sound all its own. Sounds beefy as hell. The sound pressure on the sounds is incredible, really cuts through a mix. It’s very flexible too… It has the same 8-but chip inside that the tr909 had (for loading samples) and it makes the samples crunchy and amazing… Brings them to life.
Sure, get a 12-but SP1200 but pay $5k… Not worth it
Jomox sample loading is amazing .
DEFINITELY THE BEST SOUNDING MODERN DRUM MACHINE HANDS DOWN
I’ve owned MachineDrum for years, TR909 for years, Vermona DRM MK3 for years, TR8, Kong Red and blue boxes, XBase 09, Jomox 888 (sold it years ago and recently got a 999… I always regretted selling the 888). I’ve also owned RYTM and loved it but it’s honestly lacking in sound… Great interface but mediocre sound
I’ve even owned acid lab Miami and mfb tanzbar (also both great)… But nothing hits like a 999.
Nothing.
Subjective but that’s my input [/quote]

Well. I did own the 999 for about 2 years. I didn’t like the sound much myself and people were always commenting how I had bad sounding drums, too.

I honestly prefer my current (digital) Aira TR-8. Better OS, better sound, costs 1/3 of the Jomox.

This is of course just one man’s opinion. We can’t all like the same things.

Alex thank you for your input.

I wrote before that i will get both machines. My problem is that i cant decide which one first (i know its a stupid problem). I want to get used to a machine before i get a new one. Im picky to that

The TR909 is just a collectors item, i love the sound, the design, the look and the sequencer. Same with the MPC3000. Everytime when i´m sitting in front of the MPC and the 909 i have tons of ideas in my head. Very inspiring to me.

When it comes to an idea i start with a sound, a bassline, synth melodie, etc.

Digging the Sounds out of my library on the Mac, creating a program with MPCPgmMaker or Translator, put this in the MPC or the EMU and Fire!

After that i start to program the Drums and Percussions.

All my music is written after work and when the rest of the family sleeps.

The 909 is very limited. I don`t use its whole single instruments. Kick, Clap, Hats, Ride (of course!!!). Sometimes the Toms, hardly the Snare and other remaining sounds. With the 909 its very easy to program a 64 or 128 Step Pattern: just set the range of patterns which should be played by pushing the first and the last pattern in pattern mode.

For 808 or other Percussion Sounds i use the MPC. I want to separate the drums. 808, 909, 7x7 for their own. Each machine will be recorded on its audio channel in logic. The MPC is only for cuttet breaks or non Drummachine related Sounds. I also have Projects where the MPC is not involved. i just want to start Jam Sessions with Drum Sequencers only. Routing the Midi Out from a Drummachine to a Synth is amazing (check Rob Hood Stuff).

Last night i read the manual of the Xbase and the MD again. Pattern Chaining is not a problem at all, as long it is easy to switch the pattern on the fly. I will edit the Patterns and Audio Tracks in Logic later.

I regret that i sold my 808. That was the perfect Machine. I understood what i had, when i sold it. Thats why i want a XBase888. Not for 909ish stuff, just for the 808 Sounds and the other Gimmicks. The MD is also a nice addition to my workflow. Thats why i want to have both in the end.

The TR8 is nice but maybe to limited. I don`t spend to much time on that machine, because i have a real 909. I dont want a replica. I want something different. The Xbase and the MD are perfect to me.

to keep up sonically with the 909, mpc3000 you may want to go with an analog drum machine… the MD is awesome for sound design but they don’t have the same character and raw fat (apart from the kicks) so its hard to mix them convincingly without some processing. jomox is good but sounds similar to the 909 in some ways… tempest? rytm? vintage? A4? Wikid cutting snares and chain mode!

i like on the MD that you can create Patterns in secounds. ParamLocks and if required own Drum Samples. Soundwise the Tempest could be interesting.

The Tempest has the Goldbaby Library in its OS. I own the Library too, i can use it on the MD.

But for its price i can get the xbase and the md!!

i’ve owned an MD (UW+) for 5 years. no experience of Jomox. haven’t rated any demos that i’ve heard, though.

the MD’s synthesised sounds can be great (not so good for claps/snares, though). also great for the sine machine, weird/unusual percusion and synth sounds that can be tweaked from some of the drum synths.

and it can act as a midi sequencer which is great.

built-in digital delay can be nice, reverb not so much. built in compressor not so great either IMO.

once i had owned an OT for a while, i really missed not having microtiming on the MD.

but, it’s a great machine. i recently got an AR, but will keep my MD and still using it on tracks. will be sampling it heavily for convenience of arranging/storing samples in the AR.

i’d say go for it.

(OP not interested in samples, but for the record, loading and management of samples is a bit of a pain, especially backing up, mixing projects etc. mixed results on recording samples internally. some sounds just won’t record nicely.

also, recording with the MD often ‘dulls’ sounds, and transferred samples also lose some sheen and ‘niceness’ when played back. so straight playback of samples not so great, but mangling possibilties are cool.)

this example of how to use a machinedrum could be something what i´m looking for

machinedrum is fast & fun, especially to use it standalone, i had one for 10 years and in my experience with it the toughest sounds are made using layering multiple linked tracks, individual track sounds apart from kicks are rarely solid/full sounding enough to keep up with the other analog equipment. as for the midi tracks, they are very handy just not in the same league as the OT sequencer for example. OT is an awesome as a drum machine but also benefits from analogue processing to make it gel

Midiwise i have a MPC. The OT is different though it has the same principle as a sampler and sequencer. The MPC has its strengths in sound, swing, user interface and the pads of course. The OT has only 8 Midi Tracks (MPC 64) but a supports WAVE Files and it has a huge memory. Its much more in the future as the 20years old MPC. As i wrote, i love MPC and it will stay by me forever.

The hint with the tempest was not so bad. I have one Roger Linn Machine.

The MD must not be so strong, it must add rhythm stuff to my beats.

May i should forget the Xbase and think about the MD Tempest combo.

The sound of the 888/999 is beyond incredible (I make techno/experimental electronic) and totally instantaneous. Your mind is blown from the moment you turn it on. The filters/OS/interface are a bit buggy but the sound is so addicting you forgive just about everything.

The MD is seriously fun to work with and you can get sounds out of it you won’t get anywhere else, though it’s hard to get the analog crunch of the jomox (unless you route it through a sherman etc.).

For live use the MD is unparalleled. The jomox would make me nervous as the centerpiece of a live setup (though it did pair nicely with the OT for a DJ set once).

The AR is the best of all worlds but is a bit of a yawn to work with in anything but a live setting.

You might also consider getting an mbase/mbrane if you’re planning for pure studio use. I also often pair my mbase with my MD for live sets to really get that analog boom combined with the MD’s incredible sequencing and synthesis.

i will go with the MD first. I want to use my sampler a bit more. The midi out of the machinedrum will enhance my studio workflow.

At the moment its hard to get a MD UW for a good price.

No drum machine will deliver the amount of drum variation the MD will give you out the box. 16 tracks of full blown midi and audio inputs. Even if its not a UW version you will be happy with MD mk2.

i had the non UW Version for a short time. I want to route the MIDI Out to my MPC3000 as an additional Midi Input for the connected machines there.

I use an EMU6400 Ultra, too. So the addition of another sampler (MPC3000 is a (Drum) Sampler too) is a bit over the top. But with the UW i can createlets say a 707 or 606 very easy. My main Drum Machine is the 909.