MachineDrum vs Xbase888

Hey there,

i need some serious advice for my next purchase of a drum machine. I have two Samplers (EMU and MPC) and three Synths.

At the moment i use a TR909 with a MPC3000 as my main hub. From them everything gets controlled via Logic Pro X over an AMT8. I can route and record the Midi Out of the machines to my synths. Logic Environment was very helpful to create flexible and switchable MIDI routing.

I want a new drum machine, cause the sound of 909 alone is a little bit boring in my ears. I do a lot of programming in the MPC too, but i love to work with a Step Sequencer. I use the External Instrument of the 909 to control a Synth.

The MIDI Out of the Machine may be also routed into the MIDI Environment to trigger a Synth.

I don`t want to buy both. I want to know a machine very well and use it blind if i get another one.

What do you think about a MD or a Xbase888?

The lack of Pattern Chaining is a bit PITA at the Xbase. MD wins here.

Xbase is analog, MD is digital, it isnt really an issue for me.

How flexible is the MD compared to the Xbase?

Thank you very much

Peace

T*

Not the biggest Jomox fan. I used to own an Xbase 999 and I didn’t like it much.Bad, somewhat cryptic OS and it doesn’t sound as good as some of it’s competitors. It also does nothing special, just quite standard analog drum sounds. You can load your own samples in and they’re played back at a low bitrate, which in theory is nice, but it doesn’t sound as good as some vintage 12-bit samplers.

If I owned a 909 and an MPC3000, I wouldn’t bother with the Jomox. They are quite expensive too.

Is there a particular reason you don’t want an Analog Rytm? It would bring a different, modern vibe to your setup.

Also, have you considered an OT ?
You would be able to load 8 sample chains and trig 8 MIDI channels at the same time.
Plus it’s cheaper.

Analog RYTM

I feel like this drum machine could last a lifetime without making my ears bored. I’ve noticed mixed feelings on this machine, but I can’t disagree more. If you hear this machine on a good PA you will agree. So much bass and punch.

I love the sound and the playability of my AR.
But (so far) one cannot control external gear with it, unfortunately.

thanks for your input :slight_smile:

Well AR is not in my interest. Don´t know why. I must check it later.

The Octatrack is interesting. I see it more as an alternative to a MPC.

I want a machine without loading any samples. Plug and Play. I want to create basic rhythms directly from scratch without choosing any selecting, loading and mangle samples. Thats why the MD or the XBase are the ones for me. Monomachine was also intersting but i want something for Drums.

The TR8 could also be intersting, but in that case i would buy a YOCTO 808 clone.

How about the Acidlab Drumatix? Half the price of the Jomox and it sounds better to my ears. Not super tweakable though, but it does sound great and is fun to use.

What are the people you like to listen to using? That’s how I came across the MD ten years back and I still love it.

Check out Youtube vids of both the drum machines you’re thinking of buying.

Buy the one whose sounds you like.

@bigfrog

well i did this a lot in the past. Thats why i have a 909 and a MPC. The Artists i like used also a SP1200, 808, Oberheim DMX, LinnDrum, Machinedrum, Electribes, DX200, Xbase888, XBase999, MPC60, MPC3000, MPC2000, Roland R8, 7x7s, 505, 606, RZ1, and RY30.

I check YT daily to find a decision.

I really really like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiVy9J-dnAg

Since i dont have a 808 anymore ( i wanted a 909 back, i really regret it), i want a versatile Drummachine. Not so much complex, not so much features, easy to use, stable and a bit of quality. Thats why a MD or a XBase are the ones for me. I checked also the vids on YT with the AR.

I want both machines, the MD and the Xbase, but i think i will buy the MD first :wink:

Now that you’ve made your mind about this… :imp:
I don’t own a Machinedrum but I have fun with my Monomachine for crazy drums

Check this :

And LEM’s live performances as well.
Mono is not dead !

:smiley:

1 Like

the best MnM Performance i heard:

just throwing it out there… nord drum2 is sonically certainly the most versatile thing I can think of. if you want to sequence it from the mpc that is…

This is not very good input in my opinion…
First of all, the Jomox gets a bad wrap way too often. The OS is a bit different but it’s certainly not cryptic or bad in any way. I own a Jomox 999 (just bought it brand new a month ago) and it took me a week or two to learn and anticipate the idiosyncrasies of the OS. Once you understand its character it actually makes perfectly fine sense.
NOTHING matches the sound of a 999 unless you go for a vintage 909, 808 or whatever. Jomox is a beast and has a sound all its own. Sounds beefy as hell. The sound pressure on the sounds is incredible, really cuts through a mix. It’s very flexible too… It has the same 8-but chip inside that the tr909 had (for loading samples) and it makes the samples crunchy and amazing… Brings them to life.
Sure, get a 12-but SP1200 but pay $5k… Not worth it
Jomox sample loading is amazing .
DEFINITELY THE BEST SOUNDING MODERN DRUM MACHINE HANDS DOWN
I’ve owned MachineDrum for years, TR909 for years, Vermona DRM MK3 for years, TR8, Kong Red and blue boxes, XBase 09, Jomox 888 (sold it years ago and recently got a 999… I always regretted selling the 888). I’ve also owned RYTM and loved it but it’s honestly lacking in sound… Great interface but mediocre sound
I’ve even owned acid lab Miami and mfb tanzbar (also both great)… But nothing hits like a 999.
Nothing.
Subjective but that’s my input

I created this with just a jx8p and a Jomox 999 two nights ago:::

Gives you a good idea as to how Jomox sounds… I’m not even pushing it in this track

Pretty cool indeed, and it gets better and better !
Thx for the link :+1:

Voiski uses XBase 888

Just check out his Boiler Room live set…

Also, Livity Sound uses XBase 999… Check out their RA Sessions video

Just sayin

Also, MD is obviously worlds apart from Jomox flexibility wise. I always found that MD & Jomox 888/999 were a perfect combination. I made some ridiculous tracks combining those two years ago… Trying to get another MD again soon…

If you like pattern chaining and song mode then Jomox isn’t for you.

The sound of Jomox 999 is really punchy. You take the kick in your face right between the eyes.
Oh certainly not really flexible, compared to Elektron sequencer and OS, but a very good old fashion Drummachine.

Very beautiful gear, hot sound and as said in precedent post, nice sound for samples. Clap and hithat are really my favourite ones.

1 Like

First of all, the Jomox gets a bad wrap way too often. The OS is a bit different but it’s certainly not cryptic or bad in any way. I own a Jomox 999 (just bought it brand new a month ago) and it took me a week or two to learn and anticipate the idiosyncrasies of the OS. Once you understand its character it actually makes perfectly fine sense.
NOTHING matches the sound of a 999 unless you go for a vintage 909, 808 or whatever. Jomox is a beast and has a sound all its own. Sounds beefy as hell. The sound pressure on the sounds is incredible, really cuts through a mix. It’s very flexible too… It has the same 8-but chip inside that the tr909 had (for loading samples) and it makes the samples crunchy and amazing… Brings them to life.
I’ve owned MachineDrum for years, TR909 for years, Vermona DRM MK3 for years, TR8, Kong Red and blue boxes, XBase 09, Jomox 888 (sold it years ago and recently got a 999… I always regretted selling the 888). I’ve also owned RYTM and loved it but it’s honestly lacking in sound… Great interface but mediocre sound
I’ve even owned acid lab Miami and mfb tanzbar (also both great)… But nothing hits like a 999.
Nothing.
Subjective but that’s my input [/quote]
Amen to that! I thought I was the only one here with those thoughts (i’m an 888 owner), but I guess there’s at least one other Jomox fan!

Nothing.
Subjective but that’s my input [/quote]
Amen to that! I thought I was the only one here with those thoughts (i’m an 888 owner), but I guess there’s at least one other Jomox fan![/quote]
Jomox 888/999 can be acquired very cheaply too… Saw a mint producer edition 999 go for $999 the other day on eBay
Future classic… Gets no love