Make Noise 0-CTRL

I mean in this video, how are the 808 and 0-ctrl synced?

5 and 3.3V are both correct, dependent on which arduino board type we re talking about. In general the smaller ones run on 3.3V.

I think that’s a System-80 808 module. Looks like the Clock Out of the 0-Ctrl is just patched into it to sync up.

2 Likes

It would be sweet if the Coast & Ctrl system could share a wallwart.

[ I have a bunch of 80s Boss microrack stuff that all piggyback power (the super convenient 9v guitar pedal standard). It’s neat. This shit should be encouraged ]

4 Likes

I use this one a M32/DFAM combo, only 1 wallwart needed.

Don’t have an O-coast (yet) I guess it could work on that combo too!

4 Likes

Does that allow the 808 to run in a straight rhythm while the O-ctrl does its wonky timing? It seems like that 's what’s happening.

yep, a Nano works on 5Volts and spits out 5Volts, power input can be up to 12Volts with a little voltage divider.

The Arduino Mega can spit out 12 Volts for instance.

but the 5 Volt range is common with modern synths like the neutron and such and it will trigger the gates just fine.

normally you can spit out two rows of 8 Cv values with 16 knobs but iam trying to build one with 8 steps and 8 Attenuators like the o-ctrl after seeing the videos.

the Tempo thing can be achieved by feeding it with envelopes or modulated LFOs or clock signals.

like patching an envelope to the LFO speed every trigger has a specific ramp which controls the speed of the clock

it’s More like, if you got some time, try to build your own with a Nano :100:

Looks great. Am I misunderstanding it though, do you have to manually tune every step? Wouldn’t this be a bit of a pain? I’d imagine something like this would be usually used with live sets but how would you even work like that if playing live?

yes and yes.
They should have added some kind of quantizer section

A quantiser would be nice, though Loopop explains how to make a form of analogue quantiser using the subharmonics on the 0-Coast.

Tony from Make Noise addressed the lack of pitch quantisation on the Sonic State video:

It appears it was a conscious design decision to keep it fully analogue.

Personally, this wouldn’t be a deal breaker as I have a Disting in my rack. That said, not using a quantizer opens up all sorts of microtonal possibilities. There can be beauty in constraints.

7 Likes

That’s what I assumed. To each their own.
I have no eurorack, so no external quantizer.

Sure. It would still be way cooler to have both options imo.

It also opens up all sorts of headache when you try matching your sequence to sequences of your other gear by ear :wink:

3 Likes

yeah I need to know more about how this works with sync-ing other gear, but I’m not gonna watch a 40 min video to do it, lol.

does it have to be the master clock? how does it respond to incoming clock? and can I assume when you change up the timing row, it messes up the sync?

Isn’t this making music tho :thinking: ???

It’s like an SQ-1 free of the grid.

2 Likes

I tried to find where he explains that by skipping through it but it seems he doesn t, or i missed it

Yep, about 5 min. into the video is where he says he likes to tune the 0-Coast notes to better match whatever source material is playing along.

Presumably nobody is going to buy this thing without already owning a normal MIDI sequencer or other sequencing setup capable of quantized pitches. I think those of us who end up getting this thing will continue to rely on something else for “normal” sequencing jobs, and turn to the 0-CTRL for its particular specialties.

8 Likes

True although I think it would become even more of a no brainer of a product if it included some of the features from expert sleepers disting. Just the ability to have slew would immediately add a lot… if your not already in the eurorack world and want this then it means getting a case and power for just a tiny module, which cost wise is probably not justified. Some semi modulars do let you CV a pitch envelope some I suppose that would be a way to get a similar type of effect on pitch if needed. Either way creative sequencer like this that I don’t need a rack for are an extreme rarity so it feels a bit like a no brainer to me… hopefully I can’t get one sooon

Fair points though I’m sorry to say I had a bit of a hard time reading your post after spending all day taking lecture notes and solving coding problems.

If Make Noise would just make the 0-Coast and 0-CTRL rack-mountable… (sigh).

Cheers!

If you could mount them, would you be mounting them vertically or horizontally? If vertically would you envision playing the 0-CTRL pads at all or just using it for sequencing?