Make Noise 0-CTRL

I hope next in line is a 0 Coast format Morphagene type device.

7 Likes

What I meant was, I’ve been wanting to put together a little 60hp Eurorack skiff with a 0-Coast, an FH-2, and maybe a couple FX modules, for use with my LinnStrument. I’ve talked it over with the guys at Make Noise, and they have been both encouraging and forthcoming about what that process entails, including voiding the warrantee and whatnot.

Ultimately, I decided against it. If they were to release a rackable version though, I’d be all over it. It really would make the perfect voice, especially if coupled with a tape delay and reverb, for expressive monophonic playing.

Anyway, I make noise about it (no pun intended) everywhere I go. Gotta wear them down. :wink:

I totally get the allure of the tabletop format; but I find it strange, given that they are a Eurorack company primarily, that they would not also have module versions of these. It’s a no-brainer, if you ask me.

Cheers!

2 Likes

It could be that they simply did not consider that some customers will want to put the 0-series modules in a skiff.

Keep squeaking that wheel - you never know!

1 Like

Ha!

I actually thought that if I badgered them enough, given the relatively high-profile work that I do, they might just offer to make the modifications to a 0-Coast for me, just as a one-off. But, alas, they didn’t see it that way (sigh).

It seems I’m gonna need to land a bigger gig when the world returns to normal. Hmm… I wonder if U2 needs a LinnStrumentalist. :wink:

Cheers!

I’m actually happy its not in a skiff. I can take out my PP and brains. Put another CV utility in my skiff with my 7u case. It reminds me of being a kid playing with a casio on the floor :slight_smile:

1 Like

if you need quantizer, why not going with a Renè MK2? 3 channels of 16 steps quantized or unquantized pitch + gates (even you can combine 2 gates via OR function per channel), and 16 states, more touchplate, more knobs, more led :smiley:

René MK2 is for me like 3 x SQ1 for less then 6 x the price :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I sold off a good portion of my modular rig a couple years ago, but I miss Rene, and Metropolis the most. This new sequencer has got me thinking about just putting together a couple of those 4ms pods with them.

2 Likes

I’ve got the Rene MK2 and a Tempi in a 48x pod and confirm that it is fun as hell.

2 Likes

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

7 Likes

That would be a great combo.

1 Like

Excellent points. O-CTRL is basically the leaned-down child of Rene and Pressure Points, both of which are rack-mountable.

3 Likes

They are basically eurorack modules in its own case, aren’t they? Can be eurorackmounted any time, with some effort.

1 Like

It’s not quite that simple.

A power supply has to be rigged (which is where most people go wrong and cause damage), the size and spacing aren’t exact to Eurorack specs, your warrantee will be voided in the process, etc. Never mind the hassle of pulling it all apart and putting it back together again.

As stated above, I talked it over with the guys at Make Noise; and, although they were happy to encourage me to dive in, if that’s what I really wanted (because, obviously, it is possible and certainly has been done); they enlightened me to the process enough to talk me out of it in the end.

The bottom line is, despite having many a custom piece of kit in my touring rig, modifying gear is not something I enjoy doing, or typically endeavour to, unless absolutely necessary. I see the 0-Coast as a luxury item. That is to say, it’s not like I don’t have capable synths already; it’s just something I’d do, you know, if it were less of a kludge. :wink:

Cheers!

Ok, i can understand this. Well, they need to have something for Superbooth 2021, right? :wink:
What i found very astounding, just like on Moog Sirin and Minitaur…no On/Off Switch!
Why that? For the called price, at least an on/off switch should have been included. Even the Volcas have one!

1 Like

I wonder about this on a lot of equipment. I got around it on the 0-Coast and other devices by buying a number of short power cable extenders with inline on/off toggles, though they only work with some things and not others, such as the Bastl Thyme or Dreadbox semi-modulars.

1 Like

The lack of a power switch drives me round the bend with my Sirin I must say. That and all the hidden parameters to remember. Been thinking about flogging it for an 0-Coast for a while…

1 Like

There are quite a few setup key combinations to get the hang of on the 0-Coast (mostly setup and MIDI related, not usually for making music though).

2 Likes

Very true. It’s having those musical parameters right in front of you that I think I’d prefer. That and the sound obviously! I think I can pretty much cover all the Sirin’s sounds with my A4 anyway…

2 Likes

If you plan on using midi with the o coast there’s actually quite a few hidden functions and funky button combos to access settings, but maybe they are more “set and forget” than the sirin. Just in case you weren’t aware.

2 Likes

Thanks. Yes I’m assuming they’re the set and forget variety. There are just too many common functions on the Sirin behind various shift functions. Obviously it’s fine with the plugin running…