Make Noise Strega

Yeah and, honestly, more interesting ones too. Crush Delay for instance… or the Cascading Delay from Pittsburgh.

Its fine, but its just a little bit trite.

1 Like

Looks cool but also relieved to say I don’t think it’ll be a purchase for me. New rule for me is that I can only buy gear if it doesn’t serve a purpose I already have something for, already got weird oscillators covered with the Pittsburgh VRL I bought a while back, even gonna sell the 0 Coast cos of the crossover there, 0 Cntrl is a keeper though. I’ll keep my money for when the 0-Tape does make an appearance, cos it’s inevitable… right?

You can definitely hear Alessandro’s sound in this I gotta say.

1 Like

I have a Lyra-8.

I still want this.

3 Likes

In the video Alessandro said that it was a delay with 3 different taps that aren’t synced. So it would seem to be more interesting than a standard delay pedal.

1 Like

Yeah, me too! And the sound as well : )

Make Noise is cool, makes me want their bigger system… Ogh, o no! I don’t want to start another system… : )

1 Like

Sure better than pedals, but there are many great delays in eurorack. Including two from Make Noise themselves. Having unsynced repeats can be done with most clocked delays, I believe. Just send it a wonky clock.

I am sure there is some magic there somewhere, because Tony is a guy who makes very deliberate design choices. I just dont see it yet.

There’s an audio demo of the Strega in today’s episode 79 of Jamie Lidell’s Hanging Out with Audiophiles podcast.

5 Likes

I’m not very interested.

It does that thing that annoys me with MPE, it’s “expressive” and “human” and “organic” and it can sound like an out of tune violin played with a frozen fish! In space!
Do I want that in my music?

I like natural and organic, and enjoy drones but this didn’t do much for me.
Which means I’ll likely buy one, and be raving about how organic, human, and expressive it is :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Of course there are some great delays in modular. I was into modular for years. I used to have a Chronoblob, and it was very fun, and I miss it sometimes.

How about semi-modular though? That is the segment this product is in.

1 Like
2 Likes

Of course that is another story. And I also see how there is a noisy aesthetic here in which a dirt cheap delay chip might actually be the right thing. I just don’t like that aesthetic.

1 Like

I enjoyed the video, and it was cool to see what Allesandro wanted in a desktop unit. I am looking forward to the Make Noise video tomorrow, especially for more info on the oscillator. I am still very much interested in this and will be picking on up.

1 Like

I’m feeling like this the makenoise lyra-8.

3 Likes

Yeah, the oscillator part look really interesting and sounded great in the demo.

Has me dreaming they will turn it into a standalone module, like they did with the contour and dynamix of the 0-coast. If they could pump out a 399$ complex oscillator in maybe 20HP… boy oh boy.

1 Like

Yeah, there was definitely some good vibes coming from all those harmonics. They should part that out into its own module.

I was thinking the same thing whilst watching the video. Perhaps a bit tamer than the Lyra though?

3 Likes

I have an old Philips vacuum cleaner that sounds a lot like this.

8 Likes

Another thing that I liked was when he was pumping his own recording through it. That’s the one thing I wish the 0-Coast had was an external input earlier in signal the chain. It has one, but towards the end of the signal chain.

2 Likes

Damn, not the O-tape I was hoping for

Well it’s one oscillator vs 8, so I think that does give it more to cross modulate. But for more mellow use cases, the touch plate patch points part of the demo reminded my of how you us the lyra-8, and the karaoke delay chips sound very similar to whatever SOMA Labs used.

1 Like