Make Noise Strega

Yeah I kind of wonder if the envelope in the 0-ctrl is one it has a really nice organic snappiness to it over its range, but maybe it is just its little light that made me think it was vactrol based.

hey 100 dollars to power 2x0 units is a great deal!

2 Likes

For all we know it does have an LPG in it? I guess I was referring to the 0-Coast when I said I wished it had a vactrol in it. This would definitely be the machine to put one in.

Preordered from Detroit Modular. I look forward to pumping this in to Desmodus Versio.

3 Likes

I just watched her video again, and I noticed that in the early part with the melodic content, the Dynamic Envelope of the 0-CTRL was plugged into the Activation Attenuator, probably giving it that plucky envelope/LPG sound.

1 Like

hahaha

1 Like

I could be wrong but I think OG vactrols are being phased out as the EU has banned “cadium-based photo resistors” as of 2010. At the same time there are some exceptions (Resistive opto-isolator - Wikipedia)

I know Pittsburgh at least has developed a circuit that emulates vactrols.

3 Likes

1,50€ :relaxed:

3 Likes

at this point I would consider a Typhon and the Polyend Tracker :japanese_ogre:

The Dynamic section of the 0-coast is a similar circuit, emulating a classic lo-pass gate without a vactrol.

I don’t think MN are done with vactrols though. There is one in the DPO, four in the Optomix and two (or maybe four) in the LXD, which are all still being made.

There was, however, talk of vactrols being in short supply on the parts market for a while.

I don’t hear a vactrol here. And don’t see the point of it either. Crucially, there are strike inputs on all MN modules that have vatrols, but this does not have one of those. So I don’t think there is one in Strega.

2 Likes

Synthrotek DLY & ECHO modules use PT2399
https://www.synthrotek.com/products/modular-circuits/dly/

1 Like

funny how accurate this is

2 Likes

Befaco Crush Delay as well (if I remember correctly)

1 Like

Korg Monotron Delay as well :smiley:

6 Likes

And the wonderful BugBrand PT Delay (as the name hints at) too.

EQD Space Spiral uses a (not sure if this one) karaoke delay chip as well and it’s one of my favourite pedals :slight_smile:

Koma Field Kit FX ftw

3 Likes

I admit i do like the Gibby Haynes lounge vibe.

Flight of Harmony Sound of Shadows also uses the PT2399.

1 Like

A preorder appeared on thomann:

For me, the sound is quite interesting, but too distinctive. It would be fun to dive into a musical journey with Strega in the evening with headphones… but not at this price.

Surface level looking at it, I think price to function is definitely going to be a breaking point for many people. Which seems totally fair. But it does seem like a lot of the functions have a bit more underlying them. Given you have the simple envelope, a complex oscillator of sorts, activation seems to be a lpg of sorts, some kind of sample and hold type thing. You are basically given a full droney or plucky westcoast voice. The PT2399 is much like a BBD in that it is a part you can build circuits around, I think make noises take on it is pushing it while keeping it musical and giving a good amount of patch points with attenuators. Realistically we are probably paying a chunk extra for having a high profile musician working on the design of it, which people will just need to be ok with if they want it (for better or worse). It is sort of easy to look at it as a souped up monotron delay though which makes the 600 start to seem like quite the ask.

Some more melodic demos I think are going to go a long way if they are good, I have quite liked the brief moments of those that were show before they were totally demolished but I would like to see more.

6 Likes

Tony spoke to Peter Kirn at CDM about Strega’s creation:

10 Likes