Make Noise Strega

I’m keeping the ponies out of the studio as much as possible, dogs too; cats is one thing, and I might let a goat or two in for a photoshoot, but those horse hooves just break everything.

But yeah, things that are really good at what they do are to be treasured (or perhaps paid treasure for, if available).

1 Like

I love reading complaints about semi-modular equipment from people who are already into modular.

It’s the equivalent of Audi owners throwing fits over features on a new Honda.

10 Likes

This made my day :rofl::rofl:

But srsly: Finally a full fleshed instrument by MN again! And with instrument I mean a fully thought out instrument, having a very clear vision, its own quirks and limits.

Kind of the opposite of the limitlessness of Eurorack, whilst still beaing open to expansion and experimentation.

I have a fully fleshed out 6U 104HP system, but find myself more and more looking for instruments with a focus. And this might not be “the thing”, but MN made the most inspiring and well balanced semi modulars by far until now I would say, and I am curious about their next steps in this direction :slight_smile:

Been checking a few times today and preorders are now live on perfect circuit (Not sure how long they have been open). If this is anything like the other 0 devices after the initial batch there is likely to be a decent wait. I decided to give it a go, even though drone might not be my primary use for it.

3 Likes

i quite like both formats , its just if you have a full SS and skiff of MN this stuff becomes a bit less appealing. But im not the target market for these boxes in particular bar the 0-ctrl. If make noise made a large west coast semi modular , id be all over it

UK people, Elevator Sound in Bristol has them for pre-order:

1 Like

The market will be flooded with used Fender Rhodes now that the Strega is hitting the shelves.

3 Likes

Some good info on the Perfect Circuit site that I haven’t seen mentioned elsewhere, such as “External input section with high-gain preamp and envelope follower”.

Very cool, I didn’t realize there was an envelope follower in there.

4 Likes

:joy: omg worst demo ever. Is it just me or did that seem like some god awful hipster remake of “everybody was kung-fu fighting”

6 Likes

thanks for the heads up - preordered!

no that’s this

1 Like

Strega makes some awesome sounds. Can’t say it’s too high on my priority list though.

*shrug, It’s perfectly reasonable to use both formats.

But judging a fixed circuit instrument against the standards of modular equipment seems like a luxurious irony when you reflect back upon all of the reasons why people get into modular in the first place.

Im not really sure what you mean to be honest or how it is an irony, im not judging anything negatively or positively. On this particular topic , the architecture isn’t even fixed. I use modular, semi modular and regular hardware boxes with modulation matrixes. They are all great , just in different ways. My last DIY builds was a Monome Fates (a norns variant , all software) and before that Deckards Dream(8 voice analog poly synth based off the CS80) .Ive actually just finished the circuit design for a midi controller i am building specifically for those sorts of formats. I think this particular product is aimed at people who want to get into modular but the price wall is too high (like it was for me for years). But i am sure there will be people buying it too who are quite deep into modular. , i just don’t think its the companies aim to appeal to those folks with this particular product.

If you mean comparing the device compared to my modular is ironic. I don’t really see how it is. For me , it wouldn’t add anything i already have to my setup. But for you? Or for someone else? Maybe? I don’t know what you have and your artistic goals are.

2 Likes

same here! I really love the Make noise stuff. I have paired my 0-coast with my 0-ctrl and modular systems and they all work great together. If this new Strega is super awesome like Mimeophon has been for me on modular, it is a definite go.

I asked Make Noise about what type of cable they used in today’s video that powered two units, and they said that the Strega comes with a Y cable for powering two “0” units.

11 Likes

The irony is that modular is more expensive (and more versatile) than semi modular. So complaining about the latter while pointing to what you can do instead with the former (with 60 HP, or whatever) is worthy of being clowned. It’s ridiculous.

Anyway, my comment wasn’t directed at you.

Yeah I am wondering what the envelope follower is targeting maybe activation?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKmOShzBuEr/

a brief little demo from sarah belle reid . Touches on some more melodic stuff briefly and then she also plays with the activation knob which seems to be a buchla style LPG (mix of a filter and amp).

Seems like there is still quite a bit that is murky with what is actually going on in this unit… almost reminds me of all the machines in the MC, you’re not meant to understand it you are meant to play it :stuck_out_tongue: that said I certainly wouldn’t mind a deeper explanation of what is going on but I think they are going for the mystical not understood vibe with this unit.

7 Likes

Nice video. I am looking forward to her upcoming YouTube video. She did have some nice sounds going on there.

I think that they are definitely playing the mystical vibe right now, but will probably clear things up once the manual comes out. Or maybe the info will come in bits and pieces. Like, Perfect Circuit got to mention the envelope follower. And the guy that hangs out by my corner gets to mention the Activation knob.

Speaking of LPG’s, I wish they would make a desktop unit with real vactrols. But I guess the variation/inconsistencies might be too much for people to handle in a desktop unit.

1 Like

worth the extra :100:

5 Likes