Make Noise Strega

QPAS and Mimeophon are two highly versatile and complex modules that can even generate sounds by themselves and are capable of nearly endless modulation possibilities, whereas Strega and 0-Ctrl are standalone boxes with hardwired modulation paths with a quite fair ammount of modulation possibilities to break this cycle here and there.

So in other words: What sound are you seeking? Mimeophon is a (very noisy…) delay module with a reverb and a small filter section, which is clock-syncable and also capable of some sort of physical modelling , plus ping-pong-capability.

QPAS is a 4-core-filter with simultaneously output of 4 filter modes with individually shiftable core-ammounts for the left and right channel, which is also pingable and sheer endless modulation opportunities.

Strega on the other side is some kind of drone-box that is inspired and co-developed by Cortini, and 0-Ctrl is a CV-Controller…

1 Like

yes, the question is more like in direction to move. one option would also be to sell 0-coast and start to really build bigger eurorack system. although lately I have been really into those drone sound that 0-coast can offer with system cartesian, so basically the idea would be to build that system/combo little bit more. does btw the 0-ctrl offer anything extra compared to rene v1 besides the “pressure point” like touch pads?

I can’t personally answer that but I know it’s been asked around the internet. Try a search “OCtrl vs Rene”

Ask yourself what kind of music you want to make and then decide on the appropriate tools.

1 Like

thank you for your help. I will think these different ideas/options and reconsider what I really need.

Mime+QPas

1 Like

yeah that would be safe bet. my only concern is am I still using 0-coast so much if I move more fully eurorack world. good thing is that I have time to think and consider what is the best option since there is no shops in EU that are selling none of these

1 Like

Get a small rack. Build slow. No need to rush.
O-Coast + rack = good times
The math is solid :slight_smile:

6 Likes

You might want to wait a little longer just to see what people are doing with the Strega once it is shipping. I think it’s one of those machines that is gonna be more than meets the eye initially and have some of those living breathing synthi qualities that are really hard to make happen in eurorack(mimicking mixer matrix cross talk and lots of feedback/saturation points). But it’s not gonna be in any customers hands until late this month and initial batch is sold out to my knowledge.

The 0ctrl sequencer is really cool but it isn’t a “3d” sequencer like the Rene, you might miss that aspect but it has stuff like an envelope out with strength control and the analog style timing knobs allow for an infinite resolution of micro timings, the dynamic gate output plays nice with other makenoise gear, to me I think having both a rene and 0ctrl would be great. I just have an 0ctrl for now and I think it is an amazingly creative little sequencer.

2 Likes

good points! anyway it seems I have to be little bit patient and see what would be the best option for me

I have pre-ordered a Strega and the expected shipping date is only 31.5.2021 !

Some of the stuff in the trailer for this upcoming video sounds great, definitely tapping into the more melodic side of it.

The fact that they are still doing this slow drip of videos with strega is kind of baffling to me, I liked it fine nearer to the announcement as it had some people under my radar showing it off but at this point just let people release a video if they want.

From what I hear stores are expecting to get the first of them possibly on Monday. Hopefully then getting out to people next week then.

5 Likes

The preview video sounds great. Digging some of those sounds.

And yeah, maybe they were just trying to have the next video up when they were actually available? While it is somewhat annoying to stagger them, to me it is less annoying than having every YouTube personality drop them all at the same time on the same day.

1 Like

The manual is out on Make Noise website :nerd_face: :nerd_face: :nerd_face:> http://makenoisemusic.com/manuals/strega-manual.pdf

6 Likes

Yeah some really nice sounds in his demo, I will say all the “aesthetic” tarot cards and the way he waxs about it all is mildly annoying. I guess I can’t argue with his results.

1 Like

This whole marketing campaign is giving me spirituality / witchcraft appropriation vibes and to be perfectly honest I am disappointed in Make Noise for it. Two dudes make a synth, call it Strega (why not Stregone? Not marketable enough?) and then people start throwing tarot cards in their videos and throwing nomenclature around. Give me a break.

3 Likes

*magic *

3 Likes

Oh good gawd his video is broken into chapters “AirEarthWaterFire” :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

Yep. That’s what you get with paid promotion. Also, I just want to see a proper review already. What are the downsides of this thing? Not a single negative thing has been said really, even from Nick Batt (but that wasn’t a review tbf). The campaign is backfiring in many ways imo

2 Likes

succulents are not sufficient anymore

8 Likes

I wouldnt go as far as to say disappointed, they did talk about the naming of it in a podcast and it was because of an Italian game Strega comanda colore that cortini used to play as a child, that side of things all seems to come from a good genuine place. I do agree that this demo is leaning into the sort of faux woo woo new age hip in a some what distasteful way. Some of the other videos had a touch of that but nothing really stand out to me. Westcoast synthesis has often had a new age vibe sort of sold along with it, maybe because it is harder to explain what makes it interesting.

2 Likes