Make Noise Strega

Topic: Strega

Control in Brooklyn is shipping preorders on Monday :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Yeah I was in touch with perfect circuit and they are saying next week too, they also said I might not be in the first batch which I was surprised about given I preordered a few minutes after it went live at most… I guess a lot of people were scratching that buy button. Maybe they just aren’t expecting a large first shipment.

2 Likes

Such a beautiful description that really helped open my ears a bit more.

This was such a good video too. I also realized that there was some richness to these higher tones that Strega can make that I might be better able to perceive in person…

The Baseck clip @unifono posted made me realize how powerful it would be to hear Strega in a warehouse - I feel like those decayed tones floating through a giant room would be … wow!

4 Likes

Dag, I’m sure Analogue Haven won’t be too long after.

1 Like

None of those things are harmful, it’s fine to come to mindfulness for wrong reasons.

I can’t think of a company more conscious of their decisions than Makenoise. This is the mission statement from their website:

We see our instruments as a collaboration with musicians who create once in a lifetime performances that push boundaries and play the notes between the notes to discover the unfound sounds. We want our instruments to be an experience, one that will require us to change our trajectories and thereby impact the way we understand and imagine sound.

How is Strega not reflective of that philosophy? What about that goal is wrongheaded?

Every aspect of culture is like this when you look closely.

You can make this one as broad as you like. We own nothing outside of our cultural context. The concept of ownership itself is an obvious construct of culture.

I know the feeling.

That s called :fire::fire:FOMO :fire::fire:

In my case it’s called ‘paying rent’ :weary:

2 Likes

I have a bunch of them sitting around too, keep thinking of building one of these, but stanalone rather than in module format:

3 Likes

I think you both should cook something up. There have been some pretty cool uses of this delay chip, and it would be fun to see what two different people on this board could come up with.

2 Likes

I beta tested this one from Bugbrand some years back, it was probably my favourite use of the chip, it had a momentary mode and 2 time pots which could be toggled between, it also had eq and a pair of inputs, a very fun and playable delay.

https://youtu.be/a9u3GSM2fzM

4 Likes

music from outer space / Echo Rockit

excellent use of a PT chip

5 Likes

I have one of those permanently attached to the aux outs on one mixer and it’s the best instant dub machine ever,

2 Likes

I was sorry to see it go, I only had it for a little while :frowning_face:

Yeah love Ray Wilson’s mad designs RIP.

Edit: He was a really lovely guy, very helpful and a real enthusiast for crazy sounds and bonkers synths, I had many a nice email exchange with him.

5 Likes

The Echo Rockit is probably the one device out there that is the closest comp to the Strega.

2 Likes

FFS don’t tell Behringer :joy:

Btrega Rockit

4 Likes

While I agree with you, I am one who plays music strictly as a hobby and don’t really have much money to throw around. While after hearing more demo’s I can appreciate what the Strega is and the work that went into it as I like Make Noise’s aesthetic and quality of their instruments is top notch.

However I find it difficult not to have a knee jerk reaction to 600.00 for something that in a first impression from Make Noise’s demo just seemed like an intentional mystery box that your not going to have some sort of knowledgable control of to be paying that much for.

For people who want that it’s great and am sure it will be used by many who enjoy it, but I’d more likely re-acquire an
0-Coast used, save 200 or more, and still be able to process outside audio with that and put that extra cash into something else.
I’m weird all on my own sonically. My OT and synths take me wherever I want to explore in sound. But for those who want some umph the strega will definitely be the spike in your musical punch bowel for sure.

1 Like

Agree! Ray was wonderful, always helpful, always had some good ideas if you asked him, and was generous beyond belief. Definitely miss the occasional email exchanges with him. Grant Richter was another fun guy to talk to when he was still present online more. I haven’t seen a peep out of him in years though sadly. Luckily we still have people like Neil Johnson, David Dixon, Dave Brown, etc. around.

MFOS was one of my first DIYs projects. Plankton has a design that uses two chips. I never got around to ordering their kits before they went all modular. I do have a Yellow Magic Shruthi that uses one. I like the chip!