Make Noise Strega

Thanks for your reply. It’s funny, I’m using my Lyra for almost all my tracks. Then again I’m actively trying to move away from tonal centers in my music. It’s been hell trying to write and sculpt structured tracks from these immense waves of noise.

But I’m using the Lyra in a similar way to how you’re using your Strega, for drones and effects. Any more than 2 voices at once and as you said, it gets all-encompassing. At this point most of my other gear - software or hardware - barely features on anything because theyre too… tonal, but I still foresee future use for it.

So it does seem the Strega might work for me, just that the overlap is a bit much and if I get it it’ll be more as a companion for the 0-coast rather than something I really need.

Great tracks btw.

2 Likes

I did an attempt at a more traditional bass type sound on strega

5 Likes

Keeping some numbers on second hand gear that came out recently.

The Strega is almost never for sale 2nd hand. This means that the owners are very happy with it I reckon?

The Strega is almost never for sale period, new or secondhand

3 Likes

Signal Sounds in the UK has 24 of ‘em available.

5 Likes

Bought from them before Brexit (Expert Sleepers ES9) and had a very good experience.

After Brexit I decided to only order at Schneidersladen or as close as possible to where I live.

From WiggleHunt (EU search)

2 Likes

One just appeared secondhand (and disappeared quite quickly, presumably sold) on Audiofanzine in France for 550 €.

Demo unit appeared on Sweetwater for 10% off, snagged it immediately.

With the Strega it feels like youd know exactly what youre getting before you buy it, especially at that price point. So I imagine there’d be less disgruntled owners looking to sell because they found out that this isnt the synth for them

3 Likes

Ill just add, since I asked about how the Lyra and Strega differ.

The Lyra is like playing an orchestra (with things falling apart randomly), the Strega is like playing a single instrument (with things falling apart randomly but less often)

Theyre definitely from the same family and there’s overlap. But the Lyra is extremely dense with its voices and while you could only use one or two voices (which is the way to go if you wanna work it into jams without it overwhelminy everything) it’s not that versatile in that aspect and you have less control. Youd get the Lyra mostly for the cross modulation and the chaos.

The timbre possibilities for a singular voice in the Strega make it significantly more versatile and I don’t really think about the fact that it’s mono. I just feed my 0-coast into it if I want additional voices anyway but so far the Strega alone is giving me a lot.

Im keeping both tho haha

10 Likes

I’m debating selling mine (US, though.) Sounds pretty great but I need to clear space and while it’s definitely different enough from my Lyra, I also have the delay there too if far less complex in manipulation.

Perhaps I’ll try patching it into my Flux and see what syncopation I can get going…

It’s a tough call eh. I feel like I could sell my a Lyra because I wont be using it that much for tracks anymore, but I just want to own one. And playing on the Lyra aimlessly is still incredibly immersive

4 Likes

Not sure how to embed soundcloud links but

[mod edit: just paste the soundcloud link without anything else on the line]

Some eldritch screaming with the Strega with 0-coast providing the bassline. played on a keyboard. Midi going to the 0-coast, CV pitch going to the Strega, but attenuverted and modulated by the 0-coast random CV circuit so the pitches are all over the place. Envelope provided by the 0-coast function generator too iirc.

I’m really loving this combination but I’m realising I need more function generators and I might be falling into the eurorack trap…

Anyway this is just a jam but I do foresee taking this idea and turning it into a full track at some point.

7 Likes

Looks like I’m getting one of these along with a 0-CTRL. Really looking forward to patching them up together and with the modular.

5 Likes

I got one incoming! It feels like its the only new one remaining on the planet haha.

1 Like

Nice one! Enjoy!

1 Like

Thx bruce. Your lil diddy in this thread AND fact you wont sell yours to me put me in full overdrive mode:).

Cant believe OT, AR, nor rev2 send CV pitch.

I hear a bit of some moog tone in this thing.

1 Like

I’d not worry about that for now. So much to work with just as a delay unit. And you can always just let it play one note that fits what your playing through it.

0-coast is great with it! Send midi to 0-coast and cv from 0-coast to Strega.

I liked the 0-control but not the un-quantised pitch. ZOIA worked well to do this though.

1 Like

That’ll definitely keep me busy!

Used one just popped up on reverb. So i didnt get the only one in the wild:).

1 Like

Mine and the 0-CTRL was on the ModWigglers F/S forum for several weeks before I finally got them as a combo deal. Arriving tomorrow :slight_smile:

For me the Cinematic Laboratory YT channel really sold me on the Strega (and Make Noise’s stuff in general… picked up the Erbe-Verb as well.)

1 Like

Whoa dude, surprised these dont pop up higher on strega searches. Really fun to watch. I like this one so far.

3 Likes